Consensus trance is a difficult state. Too much of our essence, our deep feelings, desires and talent, was invalidated and twisted in the course of conditioning us to conform to the consensus of what is the accepted 'normal' - so the state is full of tensions and strains. In addition, the face a person chooses to present to the world, associated with restraint, politeness and compliance, is covering up the secondary layer of grotesque, dangerous and irrational impulses, fears and fantasies, the nightmare world of the Freudian unconscious - a second area of conflict with the essence. The strain is relieved by defense mechanisms to allow us, and the culture as a whole, to function smoothly. Yet the cost to the individual is very high. And often the tension and strain breaks through with highly inappropriate behavior, where this system breaks down and conflicts with reality. We have created and we maintain a world of stupidity and horrors.
Gurdjieff argued that we act far too much along patterns of fixed habit. We may think we are acting freely, consciously and intelligently, but much of the time we 'run on automatic', not actually choosing our responses. In many respects we live as in a dream. Our concerns for what might or might not happen color our perceptions of the world, often leading us to see things very differently from how they really are.
To be truly awake in Gurdjieff's sense, to be able to use all your abilities and intelligence to realistically assess situations you are in and act as purposefully as possible in the light of your genuine, unique values, requires that you do not become caught in any identity state, particularly one that interferes with your perception of reality. The solution requires a systematic self-discovery of identity states, how they inter-relate and how they are reactivated by the environment, so that bit by bit an aspect of consciousness is created that does not become identified with the particular contents of consciousness at any given time, and can see objectively what is going on. This true 'I' stays more and more in present time and objective, it has more and more integrity and empathy, and gradually full awakening can occur.
The 'spiritual' nature of man is his awareness and manifestation of higher values: beauty, truth, love, compassion - the quality of LIFE. What does expressing your higher, spiritual Being mean in terms of actual behavior? These are eight beginnings that Maslow has set forth:
- Devote yourself to experiencing one moment. Become totally absorbed in it, the way a child would. At such moments of intense concentration, the Self is actualized.
- Think of life as a presenting a continuous opportunity for creative choice, for deciding to progress rather than regress; to try new approaches instead of falling back on habit; to face up to reality and not retreat in fear.
- Listen to the 'impulse voices' inside yourself. Look within your Self for your tastes and decisions. Concentrate instead on how you actually feel about something, not how you think you are expected to feel.
- When in doubt, be honest rather than not. Most of us opt for diplomacy and discretion, rather than for honesty, when we're in doubt about what to say. But if you are honest, you are looking to your Self for answers, and you are taking responsibility for what you find in yourself.
- Be courageous. Dare to be different. Risk making unpopular statements if they reflect what you feel.
- Find out what you really want to do, and work hard to do it well.
- Leave yourself open to peak experiences, those little moments of ecstasy, for they are fleeting moments of self-actualization.
- Identify your defensive behavior patterns and find the courage to give them up. This is painful but necessary, for repressing a problem won't solve it.
Finally, some relevant thoughts from T. S. Elliot (from 'Little Gidding' 1942):
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
Through the unknown, remembered gate
When the last of earth left to discover
Is that which was the beginning;
At the source of the longest river
The voice of the hidden waterfall
And the children in the apple tree
Not known, because not looked for
But heard, half-heard, in the stillness
Between two waves of the sea.
Quick now, here, now, always -
A condition of complete simplicity
(Costing not less than everything)
And all shall be well and
All manner of thing shall be well
When the tongues of flame are in-folded
Into the crowned knot of fire
And the fire and the rose are one."
Move on to References & Links for Chapter Seven
Return to Transforming the Mind - Contents
+ Support your personal development with these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
- Find Your Identity ~ Know deep-down really who you are.
- Believe In Yourself ~ Build trust in who you are and what you can do.
- Self Discipline ~ Finally take charge of your life.
- Develop Powerful Resilience ~ How to be more robust to knocks in life.
- Awakening Intuition ~ Learn how to pay attention to your unconscious.
- Sweet Tooth ~ Train your brain to lose your sweet tooth.
- Finish What You Start ~ Sprint all the way past the finish line.
- Do It Now ~ A hypnosis audio to trigger deep, emotionally driven activity.
- Life Priorities ~ Hypnosis can help you clarify what really matters to you.
- Stop Thinking About Someone ~ A session to help you move on from thoughts that have been constantly pestering you.
- Public Speaking Fear ~ Banish speaking anxiety and nerves with hypnosis.
- Motivate Yourself to Exercise ~ Build a powerful exercise habit that you can't break.
- Get Rid of Fear & Anxiety ~ Stop worry and apprehension wrecking your life.
- Self Esteem ~ Break the negative trance of low self esteem and give yourself a chance in life.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.