How can I give up smoking and find my life's purpose?
The questioner's philosophy
I have a big family, and career wise I have started very well and want to experience life to the fullest for which smoking is creating obstacles. I believe that my condition of not being able to find purpose in life and smoking may be connected. Nothing seems to motivate me, or if it does it is only for a short while. I also feel unable to get in touch with myself (I meditate regularly), as I always am in a semi-drugged condition. How do I find purpose in life and experience the pure joy of healthy, purposeful living that I know is possible? How do I get motivated and find purpose in life?
Get a small blackboard, the type used for writing on with chalk. Then buy a box of teacher's chalk, take out one full length stick and give the others away to local children. Every morning when you get up after your morning shower, I want you to write on the blackboard with the single stick of chalk the affirmation:
Every day, between writing your affirmation and rubbing it out, I want you to perform one task that will move you into your life's purpose. Start by choose from among the following:
- Dream about what you loved to do as a child and talk about it to your wife.
- Notice, reflect on and become aware of what in your current life brings joy to your heart. Write these intuitions down.
- Read and reflect on the further help and resources available at the foot of this article. Write down any promptings or intuitions you receive from this material.
- Keep all your written thoughts etc in a file and share these thoughts on new activities you might like to take up with your friends (chose supportive friends).
- Picture yourself doing something you love by drawing images of yourself or pasting photographs of yourself in a made up image that shows you happily engaged on your own or with others, in new promising activities.
- Write about the activities that might interest you under the headings of 5W - Who Which Where Why When.
- Draw a diagram of the 5W to help you visualize your new direction.
If you attend to these two tasks together, cutting back on your smoking and nurturing your sense of direction and life purpose, then as you cut back on your smoking you will be filled with hope, optimism, direction and clarity about your purpose in life. Do not feel concerned that your purpose may not appear to yield an income. Simply find your direction and put the simple gift of love, energy and initiative into that direction every day. That daily gift of love will take you along the path that is gradually being revealed. As you walk this path prepare to be surprised at what God has in store for you.
Your frustration will subside as your creative expression starts to blossom. You will feel motivated, healthy and purposeful. Then once your chalk runs out go out with your wife and celebrate new beginnings!
Further Help and Resources
If you want help learning to tune into and follow your inner guidance to help you with this process, I suggest you order my book Unfold Your Wings and Watch Life Take Off.