I have very high expectations of myself but am struggling to reach my goals - please assist me.
The questioner's philosophy
I left this company for another company for a period of 3 months - that environment was worse. I came back to my original company in another location, thinking that still was better but cannot make their goals. I know, through visualization, that I should be able to create these goals but cannot. I have very high expectations of myself and feel I can attain these goals but continue to be disappointed. So I need some help. Please assist me. Thank you in advance.
Two weeks later the Special Forces army team crossed the finishing line first and everyone cheered. The Special Forces team had won the race but looked bedraggled, exhausted, thirsty and starving. The army personnel were interviewed in the media and said, "Before we started this race we set ourselves a goal and had had very high expectations of our team. We are delighted to have proven that we are better in the outback than the native Aboriginal team."
The media people waited for the Aboriginal team to cross the finishing line - but they never appeared! So the journalists got into a helicopter and went looking for them. After much searching they found the Aboriginal team deep in the outback where they had set up camp. They landed their helicopter to find them singing, laughing and telling stories around the campfire. The first question the journalist asked them was, "Why did you not finish the race?" They replied - "We were having such a great time in the outback we just stayed!"
So I want both the questioner and our readers to consider and contemplate the following questions in relation to this story in our endeavor to understand the role goals have in our life...
- Who was better in the outback - the Australian Special Forces or the Aboriginal team?
- Where was the focus of attention of the Australian Special Forces team as they proceeded toward their goal?
- Where was the focus of attention of the Aboriginal people as they proceeded toward their goal?
- Is it possible to choose to change our goals if more appealing goals appear along the way?
- What is the best way to "tune in" to intuition and have it help us reach our goal?
- What does this story illustrate about the role of goals in our life and work?
- What is the most important goal in life?
Further Help and Resources
Check out our new Quick Coach articles section on Reaching Your Goals.