Jump to the following topics:
- What is walking
can do walking meditation at various times.
at a pace which allows for a meditative state.
- The techniques.
What is walking
meditation? As the name implies, it is a form of meditation in which
we walk with "mindfulness."
can do walking meditation at various times.
- We can do it as a part of our regular life (because we walk
many times during the day).
- We can do it during a distinct meditation session, using one
the variations which are described below.
- We can do it as a contrast to our "sitting meditation." In
some monasteries and retreats, walking meditation is used between
sessions of sitting meditation; obviously, one reason is to give
the body some exercise for the revival of flexibility and blood
at a pace which allows for a meditative state. Depending on the type
of walking meditation (or our preference at that moment), we might
walk at a slower speed or a faster speed.
- A slow speed. At this speed, we can focus more clearly on the
individual movements and we might be more relaxed. A single step
could take 20 seconds or longer.
- A quick speed. We can walk more rapidly in the following
- We are proficient in this meditation technique.
- We are using a variation which allows for a quicker speed.
- We feel more energetic.
- We are walking in public (where a snail pace would attract
The techniques. During a session of
walking meditation, we can use any of the following techniques.
- Focus on the body's sensations.
Focus on counting. We count each step: 1, 2, 3, and so on.
When we reach 10, we can start again at 1.
"Note" the movements (as in "noting meditation"). We say (or
think) the word, "step," at one phase of the process -- perhaps
when each foot leaves the ground, or when it returns to the
ground. For example, we would say, "Step," "step," "step." Or we
can note each phase of a foot's movement: for example, "raising,"
"forward," "placing" (or "up," "forward," "down"). "Noting" helps
us to concentrate our attention on the activity; however, these
notes might be considered a mental distraction if we would rather
focus on the bodily sensations.
Focus on the breath. We can use two variations:
- We can be aware of the general sense of movement throughout
- We can concentrate on a particular part -- the legs, feet,
hips, knees, or swinging arms.
- If our feet are bare, we might attend to the unique surface
under each step.
Focus on the energy. As we walk, we notice the energy which is
flowing in various directions:
- We breathe in our natural manner, and we simply notice how
many steps we take during each inhalation and each exhalation.
- We control our breathing to synchronize it with the
walking; for example, we might have two steps during an
inhalation and three steps during an exhalation -- or
three steps during an inhalation and four steps
during an exhalation.
Focus on a mantra or an affirmation.
- We feel the energy of the ground flowing up through our
feet to nourish us.
- We feel our energy going down to bless the earth beneath
- We feel the energy coming up through the left foot and
moving down through the right foot. Or we could feel it coming
up through both feet or descending through both feet.
Focus on the shifting of weight.
- We can repeat a phrase in rhythm with our steps.
- We can extend a single-syllable mantra. For example, we
might chant "aum" for six steps, and then inhale for two steps.
Focus on the mental processes. Before we lift a foot, or move
it forward, or set it down, we have a thought of
intending to do that action. We can be aware of that
thought as it appears, and as it causes the physical movement.
Focus on our parter. We can walk with someone else, with whom
we synchronize our steps.
We can walk in different ways.
- We feel the weight of our body as it is transferred from
one part to another -- through the knees, feet, etc.
- We focus on one part (e.g., the right hip), and we notice
the increase and decrease in pressure as we are walking on our
right foot or left foot.
- We can walk on only one part of the foot, such as the heel.
- We can walk backwards.
- We can walk on our knees.
- We can skip, or crawl, or hop.
Looking for a better life?
Trans4mind Training is our series of online, interactive video workshops. We present the most effective methods of holistic personal development, combined with support from expert life coaches.
The human heart made visible.
Support your personal development with these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
- Public Speaking Fear ~ Banish speaking anxiety and nerves with hypnosis.
- Motivate Yourself to Exercise ~ Build a powerful exercise habit that you can't break.
- Get Rid of Fear & Anxiety ~ Stop worry and apprehension wrecking your life.
- Self Esteem ~ Break the negative trance of low self esteem and give yourself a chance in life.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
This is our selection of favorites, but there's a session for every need! Choose from over 800 Hypnosis Downloads...
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
The iAwake Profound Meditation Program is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
Profound Meditation provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Here is a link to a free 20-minute track from iAwake Technologies - a sample of the type of tools that will deepen your meditation immediately and help you quickly become a successful meditator. It's the opening track of iAwake's flagship product, the Profound Meditation Program, called the iAwake Experience...
I think you'll find this technology a tremendous aid on your transformative journey of becoming your best and most creative self - and you can get started today!