Jump to the following topics:
- What is synchronicity?
What is synchronicity? It is
the occurrence of events which have the following characteristics:
- The events are simultaneous. There could be:
The events are meaningful. We intuit a special significance;
the event "glows," and it resonates deep within us, and perhaps it
stirs a profound realization regarding some aspect of our life.
This meaningfulness differentiates synchronous events from mere
coincidences. For example, we might be reading a newspaper article
about a politician when his or her campaign ad starts to play on a
nearby radio; if we do not intuit any particular importance to the
concurrence, then it was just a coincidence. Whenever we
mistakenly view a coincidence as a synchronous event, we are
indulging in superstition; we are falsely believing that there is
an implication (or even a cause-and-effect relationship) in the
fact that the two events occurred together.
The events are not connected by cause-and-effect; i.e., one
event does not cause the other. Jung theorized that synchronicity
is a universal force, like gravity, which somehow presents
parallel occurrences due to a quirk in the time-space continuum.
Jung said that the concept of synchronicity explains the workings
of astrology, I Ching, and similar phenomena; for example, he
believed that the lay of the coins in I Ching is synchronous with
personal events in the person's life. Synchronicity -- Jung's
"acausal connecting principle" -- is a separate principle from
that of cause-and-effect (i.e., "karma"), so it provides another
way in which to view the dynamics of the universe; in
synchronicity, two events appear to be related but we do not
detect a causal, karmic relationship between them. But perhaps
another force lies behind synchronicity. Jung and other authors
have detected no cause-and-effect link between two
synchronous events. But we can speculate that there is a third
element which precipitates the two events. Consider this analogy:
In a room, we have one person who is deaf, and two persons who can
hear. When a firecracker explodes, the two hearing people jump in
surprise. From the viewpoint of the deaf person (who did not hear
the firecracker), the jumping was a synchronous event; one
person's jump did not cause the other person's jump -- but the law
of cause-and-effect was indeed occurring, with a cause which was
simply not perceived by the deaf person. Perhaps all synchronous
events are caused by a force which we do not detect. (This
possibility is explored further in our study of the synchronicity
- Two internal events, e.g., two people having a
corresponding thought at the same moment.
- Two external events, e.g., two people committing a
corresponding act at the same time.
- A combination of an inner event (i.e., a thought or
feeling) and an external event. Carl Jung, who developed the
concept of synchronicity, offered this example: During a
therapy session, a patient was describing her dream about a
golden scarab (a beetle which was notable in Egyptian
mythology); when a similar beetle suddenly flew in through an
open window, the patient was so astonished by the coincidence
that she experienced a breakthrough in her therapy.
Want to renew your life?
Our online, interactive video workshops present the most effective methods of holistic personal development...
- Learn valuable life skills and key insights to master all your life challenges.
- Advance on a path of practical spirituality - being the difference you'd like to see in the world. The human heart made visible.
- Have personal support from your coach to make transitions that will fulfill your potential.
Start off with a Free Life Assessment and a Free Consultation...
Have a question about Trans4mind Training?
Support your personal development with these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
This is our selection of favorites, but there's a session for every need! Choose from over 800 Hypnosis Downloads...
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Hypnosis is the key to unlocking your creativity, focusing your energy and understanding yourself
Hypnosis has a long history of helping human beings be the very best they can be. It can be used to control anything controlled by the unconscious mind - pain, blood pressure, fear, confidence levels, mood, sex drive... the list goes on:
- You'll become highly productive without getting stressed
- Tap into your creative energies instantly
- Really understand yourself and others
- You'll learn how to stay calm in high pressure or uncomfortable situations
- Develop laser-like levels of focus and concentration
Lean more... Uncommon Hypnosis Course
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
Profound Meditation provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Here is a link to a free 20-minute track from iAwake Technologies - a sample of the type of tools that will deepen your meditation immediately and help you quickly become a successful meditator. It's the opening track of iAwake's flagship product, the Profound Meditation Program, called the iAwake Experience...
We think you'll find this technology a tremendous aid on your transformative journey of becoming your best and most creative self - and you can get started today!
And here's a fantastic resource for self-education...
The World of Inspiration eLibrary
- Many profoundly illuminating afterlife, NDE and OBE ebooks
- The largest collection of high-power inspiration and mind development books anywhere on the Internet
- Hundreds of hours of fascinating interviews with world spiritual leaders and mind experts
- Whole worlds of philosophy, psychology and esoteric history explored
- Fascinating back-libraries of magazines exploring new paradigms and alternative thinking
A treasure trove of personal development wisdom
Step inside. Just like a real library, there are thousands of quality eBooks presented on three "floors" and in different "rooms." To purchase your $15 Lifetime Membership to the World of Inspiration eLibrary, click the following button:
Payment is made through our secure transaction agent, PayPal.
The transaction is in the language and currency of your choice.