Jump to the following topics:
- What is meaning?
meaning and "the meaning of life."
- The benefits from
- Techniques for
What is meaning? It can be explained
in various ways:
- Meaning is a quality which signifies that an object is
important in ways which cannot be fully explained in terms of
functionality. For example, a hammer is simply a functional
object which has no meaning; however, this hammer could
have meaning if, for example, it was given to us by a beloved
relative, or it is an antique, or it was used on our first job
- Meaning is a quality which evokes particular feelings: awe,
reverence, respect, devotion, care, concern, cherishing, etc. We
discern meaning through our feelings and intuition.
- Meaning is a quality which we ascribe to something which we
"value"; i.e., if something is meaningful to us, we value it.
- The word's synonyms include "significance" and "importance."
Personal meaning and "the meaning of
life." Meaning exists on both the personal and impersonal level.
- Personal meaning. For example, we might discover meaning in a
marriage or relationship, or parenthood, or giving assistance and
love to individuals, or contributing to society in general
(through a job or volunteer work), or our spiritual exploration of
life. We have meaning when we can answer the questions, "Who am
I?" and "Why am I here?"
- The meaning of life. In addition to our personal sense of
meaning, there might be a universal meaning for our
existence -- a meaning which underlies all experience for all of
us. Philosophers have speculated that the meaning of life is that
it presents opportunities to learn to love, or to explore
spiritual truth, or to discover our divine nature. The belief in a
universal meaning can be constructive as long we do not deny our
own personal meanings; for example, if we accept the religious
idea that the meaning of life is found in service to mankind, we
are betraying ourselves if we abandon our family (in which we find
meaning) in an effort to find meaning in the abstract religious
idea of service.
The benefits from
- Meaning gives guidance. In many decisions, our choice is (1) a
meaningful activity or (2) a less-meaningful activity. If we know
what is important to us, this decision-making process is easier.
- Meaning grants context and continuity. Meaning is a central
theme, from which our life makes sense. Our individual activities
and goals are not random occurrences; instead, they are extensions
from this theme.
- Meaning grants strength. If our lives have meaning, we can
experience peace and courage even when we are struggling and
- Meaning grants satisfaction. When we are performing a
meaningful activity, the activity itself is emotionally rewarding,
even if the results are not perfect or even successful; "we fought
the good fight."
- Archetypal field-work.
Intuition. Meaning becomes apparent to us through our
feelings, which is one means by which our intuition expresses
itself. We can also use intuition itself to direct us toward the
activities which are meaningful; then, intuition will tell us how
to interact with these meaningful activities such that we fulfill
We can make a list of the things which are meaningful to us.
What do we care about? What is most satisfying in our life? What
causes the most happiness? What is in our daydreams and fantasies?
What are our aspirations? What were our goals when we were
We can discriminate between our own meaning and the meaning
which is presented by external forces. Many people try to tell us
what should be important to us; those people include
parents, religious leaders, politicians, the media, celebrities,
advertisers, etc. But meaning is a very intimate matter which is
based upon our own feelings and intuition.
- Self-talk. For example: "Life has meaning." "I enjoy
finding the personal meaning in things." "I take care of the
things that are meaningful to me."
- Directed imagination. For example, we can visualize
ourselves tenderly caring for something which has meaning to
- Energy toning. When we encounter things which are
meaningful to us, we can cultivate energy tones such as love,
affection, fondness, awe, cherishing, etc.
- The "as-if" principle. When we discern the meaningful
things in our life, we can act out the role of a person who
cares for those things -- treating them with respect, and
growing them into a substantial part of our life.
Want to renew your life?
Our online, interactive video workshops present the most effective methods of holistic personal development...
- Learn valuable life skills and key insights to master all your life challenges.
- Advance on a path of practical spirituality - being the difference you'd like to see in the world. The human heart made visible.
- Have personal support from your coach to make transitions that will fulfill your potential.
Start off with a Free Life Assessment and a Free Consultation...
Have a question about Trans4mind Training?
Support your personal development with these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
This is our selection of favorites, but there's a session for every need! Choose from over 800 Hypnosis Downloads...
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Hypnosis is the key to unlocking your creativity, focusing your energy and understanding yourself
Hypnosis has a long history of helping human beings be the very best they can be. It can be used to control anything controlled by the unconscious mind - pain, blood pressure, fear, confidence levels, mood, sex drive... the list goes on:
- You'll become highly productive without getting stressed
- Tap into your creative energies instantly
- Really understand yourself and others
- You'll learn how to stay calm in high pressure or uncomfortable situations
- Develop laser-like levels of focus and concentration
Lean more... Uncommon Hypnosis Course
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
Profound Meditation provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Here is a link to a free 20-minute track from iAwake Technologies - a sample of the type of tools that will deepen your meditation immediately and help you quickly become a successful meditator. It's the opening track of iAwake's flagship product, the Profound Meditation Program, called the iAwake Experience...
We think you'll find this technology a tremendous aid on your transformative journey of becoming your best and most creative self - and you can get started today!
And here's a fantastic resource for self-education...
The World of Inspiration eLibrary
- Many profoundly illuminating afterlife, NDE and OBE ebooks
- The largest collection of high-power inspiration and mind development books anywhere on the Internet
- Hundreds of hours of fascinating interviews with world spiritual leaders and mind experts
- Whole worlds of philosophy, psychology and esoteric history explored
- Fascinating back-libraries of magazines exploring new paradigms and alternative thinking
A treasure trove of personal development wisdom
Step inside. Just like a real library, there are thousands of quality eBooks presented on three "floors" and in different "rooms." To purchase your $15 Lifetime Membership to the World of Inspiration eLibrary, click the following button:
Payment is made through our secure transaction agent, PayPal.
The transaction is in the language and currency of your choice.