Jump to the following topics:
- What is breath
- The techniques.
What is breath meditation?
It is any type of meditation in which we focus our attention on our
- We can practice mindfulness of the breath. We do not control
the breath; instead, we allow it to occur in its natural cadence
and depth. While breathing, we can focus on:
We can count each breath. We can try these variations:
- The flow of air (as it goes past the tips of the nostrils,
or the insides of the nostrils, or the throat, or the lungs).
- The abdomen's motion (inward and outward).
- The sound of the breath.
- The state during the pause after each exhalation. This is a
state of silence, with no thoughts.
- The quality of the air (perhaps its coolness or its scent).
- The spontaneous rhythm of the exhalations and inhalations.
- The uniqueness of each breath (the speed and depth and
- The various sensations throughout the torso as the lungs
expand and contract.
- Our unity with the breath process. We might feel that we
are "being breathed" (instead of being a separate
witness of the process).
We can "note" the breath. In noting meditation, we say a
word which names our action; this practice helps us to concentrate
on the action. For example:
- We count the number of beats for the inhalations,
exhalations, and pauses. For example, we might count 1-2-3-4
during the inhalation; then 1-2-3-4-5 during the exhalation;
then 1-2-3 during the pause. We are not controlling the breath;
we allow it to proceed at its natural pace while we count.
- We can count "one" for the first inhalation; "two" for the
next inhalation; "three" for the next inhalation; etc. (We do
not count the exhalations.) Or we can count only the
exhalations, without counting the inhalations.
- We can count "one" for the inhalation; "two" for the
exhalation. Then we repeat "one" for the next inhalation, and
"two" for the next exhalation. etc. (We do not count beyond the
We can think particular words while inhaling. Those words can
be a mantra, any phrase, or a self-talk statement. While exhaling,
- We think the word the word, "inhale," when we inhale; we
think the word, "exhale." as we exhale.
- If we are concentrating on the corresponding movement of
the abdomen, the words would be "rising" and "falling," or
"out" and "in."
- We can simply think the word, "breathing," during each
inhalation, or during each exhalation, or during both the
inhalation and exhalation.
We can visualize our breath.
- Think the mantra or phrase again.
- Say the mantra, phrase, or statement aloud.
- Ponder the meaning of the sentence, phrase, or statement.
We can have our eyes open slightly, so that some light can
enter. As we inhale, we feel the energy of this light coming into
our body. As we exhale, we feel the energy circulating throughout
We can gaze at an object -- physical or visualized -- which
symbolizes beauty or peace or another quality which we want to
develop. As we inhale, we feel the quality of that object coming
into us; as we exhale, we respond by sending that same quality
back to the object. Eventually, our attention might transcend this
duality of ourselves and the object; instead, we become more aware
of the quality itself and the empty space in which that quality
- During each inhalation, we can visualize energy or light
something coming into us. As we exhale, we can visualize
something passing from us -- something "negative" (e.g.,
stress, physical pain, emotional disturbances, or other
unwanted conditions) or something "positive" (e.g., blessings
or love which we are giving to the world).
- As we inhale, we can visualize life-energy entering our
lungs. In each subsequent inhalation, we visualize a larger
amount of life-energy coming into us.
- As we inhale, we can visualize life-energy travelling to a
particular part of our body, e.g., our brain, or our heart, or
our painful ankle. As we exhale, we see the tension or pain
leaving that part.
- As we inhale, we visualize life-energy coming into us from
a source other than the air; this source might be the sun, or
the earth, or another source.
- We can visualize our entire body participating in the
respiratory process. Every cell is exchanging its carbon
dioxide for life-enhancing oxygen.
Want to renew your life?
Our online, interactive video workshops present the most effective methods of holistic personal development...
- Learn valuable life skills and key insights to master all your life challenges.
- Advance on a path of practical spirituality - being the difference you'd like to see in the world. The human heart made visible.
- Have personal support from your coach to make transitions that will fulfill your potential.
Start off with a Free Life Assessment and a Free Consultation...
Have a question about Trans4mind Training?
Support your personal development with these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
This is our selection of favorites, but there's a session for every need! Choose from over 800 Hypnosis Downloads...
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Hypnosis is the key to unlocking your creativity, focusing your energy and understanding yourself
Hypnosis has a long history of helping human beings be the very best they can be. It can be used to control anything controlled by the unconscious mind - pain, blood pressure, fear, confidence levels, mood, sex drive... the list goes on:
- You'll become highly productive without getting stressed
- Tap into your creative energies instantly
- Really understand yourself and others
- You'll learn how to stay calm in high pressure or uncomfortable situations
- Develop laser-like levels of focus and concentration
Lean more... Uncommon Hypnosis Course
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
Profound Meditation provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Here is a link to a free 20-minute track from iAwake Technologies - a sample of the type of tools that will deepen your meditation immediately and help you quickly become a successful meditator. It's the opening track of iAwake's flagship product, the Profound Meditation Program, called the iAwake Experience...
We think you'll find this technology a tremendous aid on your transformative journey of becoming your best and most creative self - and you can get started today!