Travel to New-York City, Part I - Statue of Liberty
By Armie Hareyan
Seen from above, Manhattan Island looks like a ship determined to break loose from nature's hold and head for the open sea and the world beyond. Instead, the great wide word has come to her, in the form of millions immigrants who through the years have totally changed her physiognomy, bringing new languages new colours, new tastes and even a new shape. The bow of this imaginary vessel is lower Manhattan but first, signaling the presence of the great ship herself, come a tender and a figure-head: Ellis Island and The Statue of Liberty.
Between 1892 and 1954 some 17 million people passed through Ellis Island. For many it become, with good reason, the Island of Tears: the Italians, Irish, Poles and Russinas who disembarked with their meager possessions were "processed and - if medical examination revealed suspicion of contagious disease - turned away. From here however many made their way to the vast interior or took the great leap towards California. But large numbers headed for Little Italy or Brooklyn, perhaps awaited by relations and friends who had come on earlier ships and were now fully-fledged "Americans".
In 1990 the long-abandoned island was reopened to the public. After major restructuring at a cost 156 million dollars, it is now a huge museum in which the story of millions of lives is old. From Ellis Island you can see the Statue of Liberty. Nowadays the great figure is generally regarded as a kind of non-sectarian immigrants Madonna (a perception endorsed by lines from Emma Lazarus's famous poem, engraved on the base at the beginning of the century: "Dive me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free").
In actual fact, Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi's statue was conseives as a gift from the French to the American people, intended to "glorify Liberty and the Republic, in the hope that these values will not die". Unveiled on October 28, 1886, the statue underwent a rejuvenating facelift before its 100th anniversary. Lady Liberty is a real giant: the statue proper weights 221.5 tons, soars to a height of 305 feet. Leading from ground level to the crown (its seven rays representing the seven seas and seven continents) are 354 steps. A visit to the Statue of Lberty is a great way to start a tour of New-York: from high up in the crown the whole city is spread out before you, and even the stunning skyscrapers appear dwarfed by her presence.
About The Author
Armine Hareyan is the publisher of http://etraveling.blogspot.com which provides Travel Destination Articles.
Support your personal development with these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
- Public Speaking Fear ~ Banish speaking anxiety and nerves with hypnosis.
- Motivate Yourself to Exercise ~ Build a powerful exercise habit that you can't break.
- Get Rid of Fear & Anxiety ~ Stop worry and apprehension wrecking your life.
- Self Esteem ~ Break the negative trance of low self esteem and give yourself a chance in life.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
This is our selection of favorites, but there's a session for every need! Choose from over 800 Hypnosis Downloads...
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
Profound Meditation provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Here is a link to a free 20-minute track from iAwake Technologies - a sample of the type of tools that will deepen your meditation immediately and help you quickly become a successful meditator. It's the opening track of iAwake's flagship product, the Profound Meditation Program, called the iAwake Experience...
We think you'll find this technology a tremendous aid on your transformative journey of becoming your best and most creative self - and you can get started today!
And here's a fantastic resource for self-education...
The World of Inspiration eLibrary
- Many profoundly illuminating afterlife, NDE and OBE ebooks
- The largest collection of high-power inspiration and mind development books anywhere on the Internet
- Hundreds of hours of fascinating interviews with world spiritual leaders and mind experts
- Whole worlds of philosophy, psychology and esoteric history explored
- Fascinating back-libraries of magazines exploring new paradigms and alternative thinking
A treasure trove of personal development wisdom
Step inside. Just like a real library, there are thousands of quality eBooks presented on three "floors" and in different "rooms." To purchase your $15 Lifetime Membership to the World of Inspiration eLibrary, click the following button:
Payment is made through our secure transaction agent, PayPal.
The transaction is in the language and currency of your choice.