St Ives: A Town On Canvas
By Steven Cronin
One of my favourite places in England sits in the far south-westerly reaches of the country, amongst the myths and legends of Cornish past. St Ives is a beautiful little harbour town, largely unspoilt by commercialisation. Resting at the northern tip of the A3074 (off the A30) in western Cornwall, St Ives is not easily accessible for the majority of the country but is well worth the effort.
A vast myriad of narrow paths and cobbled streets remind of days gone by and offer great contrast to modern day town planning. Most of St Ives is old-school, a throwback to bygone days of uncomplicated living. Artists seem to be on every corner, benefiting from the excellent natural light as the fresh Atlantic winds blow pollution from the air.
Car parking is at a premium in St Ives during the holiday seasons and therefore it's advisable to arrive as early as possible in the day. A good alternative is to park in Lelant and catch the train. It runs at half-hour regular intervals during high season and is reasonably priced. The short ten-minute journey takes the coastal route, part of which feels like you are directly over the water. The journey is worth taking for the view alone, a magnificent vista taking in the whole of St Ives Bay, from the town itself, stretching all the way to Godrevy Point. However, some of the younger travellers can get somewhat restless.
"SIT DOWN! orders an irate mother whose children scurry about a crowded carriage. The smell of suncream exudes around a noisy carriage as day-trippers gather their buckets and spades ready for disembarking.
The station is at the top of the high street, approximately five to ten minutes walk downhill to the harbour front. The narrow streets can get extremely congested as pedestrians and vehicles fight for the same space. Shoppers are frequently forced to move aside for passing traffic.
The tight, cobbled streets are home to some enticing shops, relatively free of the typical seaside souvenir rubbish. Art galleries are everywhere, many displaying local work of St Ives and the beautiful surrounding coastline. Tiny little shops display local craftsmen's intricate work; sometimes you can see them working on their next masterpiece.
As the road winds downhill to the shore, the harbour suddenly opens up in front of you. The smell of the salty sea breeze hits you in the face; cries of the seagulls echo about the quay. The local ice-cream tastes delicious, though beware the seagulls. My young son once had his rudely stolen from his grasp and devoured by a hungry bird!
About The Author
Steven Cronin owns the Sargas Travel online magazine featuring travel reviews, news, inspiration, advice and special offers. For further reading please visit http://www.sargas.co.uk.
Support your personal development with these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
- Public Speaking Fear ~ Banish speaking anxiety and nerves with hypnosis.
- Motivate Yourself to Exercise ~ Build a powerful exercise habit that you can't break.
- Get Rid of Fear & Anxiety ~ Stop worry and apprehension wrecking your life.
- Self Esteem ~ Break the negative trance of low self esteem and give yourself a chance in life.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
This is our selection of favorites, but there's a session for every need! Choose from over 800 Hypnosis Downloads...
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
Profound Meditation provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Here is a link to a free 20-minute track from iAwake Technologies - a sample of the type of tools that will deepen your meditation immediately and help you quickly become a successful meditator. It's the opening track of iAwake's flagship product, the Profound Meditation Program, called the iAwake Experience...
We think you'll find this technology a tremendous aid on your transformative journey of becoming your best and most creative self - and you can get started today!
And here's a fantastic resource for self-education...
The World of Inspiration eLibrary
- Many profoundly illuminating afterlife, NDE and OBE ebooks
- The largest collection of high-power inspiration and mind development books anywhere on the Internet
- Hundreds of hours of fascinating interviews with world spiritual leaders and mind experts
- Whole worlds of philosophy, psychology and esoteric history explored
- Fascinating back-libraries of magazines exploring new paradigms and alternative thinking
A treasure trove of personal development wisdom
Step inside. Just like a real library, there are thousands of quality eBooks presented on three "floors" and in different "rooms." To purchase your $15 Lifetime Membership to the World of Inspiration eLibrary, click the following button:
Payment is made through our secure transaction agent, PayPal.
The transaction is in the language and currency of your choice.