Saint Clement of Ochrida
By Michael Coy
November 25 is celebrated as Saint Clement's Day in Bulgaria, the occasion for honouring a founding father of the nation's culture. Clement was undoubtedly a good, holy man, but he was also much more than that: in his hands, the awakening of Bulgarian nationhood was given strength and nurture.
Orthodox Christianity loves nothing as much as a good schism. For those who may be new to the subject, a schism is a split between two groups of believers, caused by a difference in interpretation of the Bible. Back in Clement's day, the great controversy was the so-called "trilingual schism", some church elders holding that only Hebrew, Greek and Latin could be used in church.
Clement was completely opposed to this, arguing that God has given each people its own tongue, and therefore it can't be wrong to praise Him in the beautiful Bulgarian language. As a bishop, Clement preached and conducted services in Bulgarian, in the process doing much to forge a sense of national identity.
A man of peace, Clement endured much trouble and persecution during his life. His calling was to work among the Slavs, bringing them to Christianity by means of gentle persuasion. Driven out of Moravia (now the Czech Republic) in the year 885, he devoted the rest of his life to caring for the Bulgarians.
At the time, the ruler of the Bulgarians was Prince Boris I, known as "the converter", because of his ardent desire to bring his entire people to God. He sent Clement to the remote south west, to the town of Ochrida, where the holy man set about raising the standard of living of the local people, particularly through education.
Rather than terrifying simple country folk with fire-and-brimstone sermons about the agonies of hell, Clement chose to use the power of straightforward human kindness. He taught the children to read and write. If the question arose as to why he was a religious believer, he would explain gently and compellingly what God meant to him, without ever attempting to force his views on anyone. It worked spectacularly. Clement's influence grew and spread, and he was soon famous across the length and breadth of the Bulgarian territories, both as a holy man and as an educator.
Today, the church of Saints Cyril and Methodius in Sofia preserves various relics of Clement, revered as he is as a father of the Bulgarian Church. However, it is as the foster-father of learning that he is best remembered by most Bulgarians. Indeed, there is hardly a town or village in modern Bulgaria which does not have a school or college named "Vasti Clement". Even the University of Sofia, Bulgaria's Oxford, proudly bears the name of this wise and decent man.
About The Author
Michael Coy is a qualified Barrister and teacher in English, History and French. Michael regularly contributes articles to Sunseeker Homes.
Support your personal development with these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
- Public Speaking Fear ~ Banish speaking anxiety and nerves with hypnosis.
- Motivate Yourself to Exercise ~ Build a powerful exercise habit that you can't break.
- Get Rid of Fear & Anxiety ~ Stop worry and apprehension wrecking your life.
- Self Esteem ~ Break the negative trance of low self esteem and give yourself a chance in life.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
This is our selection of favorites, but there's a session for every need! Choose from over 800 Hypnosis Downloads...
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
Profound Meditation provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Here is a link to a free 20-minute track from iAwake Technologies - a sample of the type of tools that will deepen your meditation immediately and help you quickly become a successful meditator. It's the opening track of iAwake's flagship product, the Profound Meditation Program, called the iAwake Experience...
We think you'll find this technology a tremendous aid on your transformative journey of becoming your best and most creative self - and you can get started today!
And here's a fantastic resource for self-education...
The World of Inspiration eLibrary
- Many profoundly illuminating afterlife, NDE and OBE ebooks
- The largest collection of high-power inspiration and mind development books anywhere on the Internet
- Hundreds of hours of fascinating interviews with world spiritual leaders and mind experts
- Whole worlds of philosophy, psychology and esoteric history explored
- Fascinating back-libraries of magazines exploring new paradigms and alternative thinking
A treasure trove of personal development wisdom
Step inside. Just like a real library, there are thousands of quality eBooks presented on three "floors" and in different "rooms." To purchase your $15 Lifetime Membership to the World of Inspiration eLibrary, click the following button:
Payment is made through our secure transaction agent, PayPal.
The transaction is in the language and currency of your choice.