Improve Your Image at Work
By Race Kale
The image we have at the place we work or, in other words, what people we work with think about us, is always important for each and every one of us. It sometimes happens that you're very close to a promotion and you're wondering how to prove that you're better than your hard-working colleague; or maybe you realized you would like to get along better with the persons you meet at work everyday. In any of these cases, as well as in others, an improvement of your image can only have positive results.
There are many ways in which you can modify or adapt your image to your true needs and here are some of them:
1. Tips regarding the relation with your colleagues.
- Getting along well with the people around you is sometimes a question of diplomacy. Take some time and analyze each and single one of them, established their needs and try to be helpful - even though they would be suspicious at the beginning, after a while you are sure to obtain the desired result. After all, who wouldn't want to have a partner at work, offering to help him finish the project earlier? This way, you will not only make proof that you are a wonderful team worker, but you also make sure you have somebody to turn to, when you need to leave early and finish your at the same time.
- Pay attention to what your colleagues have to say. Although the meeting might be just as boring as usual, the fact that you express an opinion about what another person is presenting, will sure put your personality in a good light. Don't hesitate to congratulate your workmates every time they accomplish something, no matter how insignificant it might be. This way, they will feel you approve and admire them and they will always come to you for advice. Also, don't forget how interested we all are about our physical appearance! Thus, be smart enough not to miss any chance to compliment a colleague when he or she got a new hair cut, a new outfit or simply looks good that day. Remember how good, a compliment like that, makes you feel.
- Whenever it is not impossible or very difficult, try to do little things for your workmates. For example, when you go out to buy yourself coffee or lunch, ask the others if they need anything. Imagine how good it would made you feel if somebody offered you a cup of coffee, when you're too caught with your work at the office.
2. Reorganize your office.
- Design the room you're working in, so that it looks more like a welcoming space, rather than a traditional office. Mind things like the color of the walls, the type and color of furniture etc. Also, remember how nice it is to remark living things in other people's offices. What about placing some nice plants or an aquarium in the room you spend eight hours daily? On one hand it will point out that you indeed like your job, since you invest time and energy to decorate your office, and it will make the others pay you more visits. However, do not exaggerate by adding a bed and shower in your office!
Depending on the environment we work in, it is sure that, sooner or later, we will have to upgrade our image, so whenever you feel is necessary, don't hesitate to do it!
About The Author
Race Kale is the best selling author of The Power of Charisma.