Top 10 E's to Motivate and Influence an Audience
By Sandra Schrift
Speak with E's. Be a speaker of influence not control or
guilt. With the privilege of the platform comes the awesome
responsibility of motivating and influencing your audience
to feel/think/act differently.
1. Educate provide your audience with extensive information
on your topic. This will empower attendees to feel
competent and knowledgeable. Support your points with
stories. Stories help us see through the eyes of other
people. Adults delineate their thoughts visually.
2. Entertain give them the facts laced with a good dose of
humor. Adults learn better when they are lightening up!
Here's the place for some magic tricks, handwriting
analysis or a song.
3. Experience get the audience involved. When they
interact, they get it better and retain it longer. Group
exercises, simple questions and answers, role-plays.
4. Enthusiasm vary your tone of voice, smile often, and
show passion for your subject matter. Make your body
language reflect your comments.
5. Example be the speaker/person who motivates the
audience to admire and respect you. You have succeeded
when people say, I want to be like him/her.
6. Encourage be supportive to your audience believe in
them. Acknowledge them Say,"I did it and so can you."
7. Excellence hold yourself accountable for excellence.
And then help your audience be accountable and live up to
its potential. Speakers need to give audiences what they
need, not what they want.
8. Expertise demonstrate that you know your stuff. Speak
about what you know from your business background,
personal experiences and research. Be perceived as an
expert on your topic.
9. Eloquence deliver your speech with high energy,
sincerity, inspiration, and a sense of humor. Are you
one of a kind? What makes you different from your
10. End result you want to energize your audience to take
some risks, some action, go to the edge and execute
...make their dreams come true, or get the job done.
Your information should be useful and immediately
applicable to their lives.
I welcome your comments and questions in my blog;
©2006 by Sandra Schrift. All rights reserved
About The Author
Sandra Schrift 13 year speaker bureau owner and now coach
speakers to get clients and paid speaking engagements. I
also work with business professionals and organizations
who want to deliver masterful presentations.
Free Signup Bonus "How to Get your Speaking to the Next
Level" (a 10 page e-book)
Join my free bi-weekly Monday Morning Mindfulness ezine