You Know Your Life Is On Purpose When You Know Yourself As A World Citizen
As of this writing over 155,000 of our brothers and sisters have died in Asia from the natural disaster of a tsunami. As Ann and I have watched the death toll climb over the past week, Ann reminded me that we are not simply citizens of Flat Rock, or of North Carolina, or of the United States -- we are world citizens. We are all on this planet together, playing the game called life full out, doing the best we can in each situation, and if we're ever to truly experience a World On Purpose we can no longer isolate ourselves by made up borders or beliefs.
Another interesting number that I heard related to the tsunami disaster was that over 1 billion dollars had been pledged to help the victims. One thing that we did as a family on New Year's Eve was to discuss what we felt we could do as 'world citizens' to help our world family through this challenging time. Here's what we came up with. I share this simply to encourage and to inspire others to explore for themselves what they can do.
It has evolved into a simple 4 Step Plan:
1. Pray for those most affected. You might include in your prayer something like this: "Please help us recognize that what has happened is an opportunity masquerading as a natural disaster. It is an opportunity for us all to come together as ONE in love and harmony. Help me stay mindful to this opportunity."
2. Contribute some 'good green energy' of money now to help the people of Asia to get through these next few weeks. Our 12-year old daughter, Amber, asked if she could contribute from her "Future Fund"-- money that has been set aside for her future/college. Realizing she has no future that doesn't include the rest of the world, we agreed.
3. Pledge to continue giving throughout the year. After all, the rebuilding process will take years. Long after this matter is no longer in the news, there will still be much to do, so we felt some continual support was important. One way we're planning to provide ongoing support is by 'adopting' or sponsoring one or more children. Here are a couple of the agencies through which this can be done:
www.savethechildren.org As a child sponsor, you'll see up close and personal, through corresponding with your sponsored child, how you are helping to create a better, brighter future for children in need. For less than a $1 a day, your sponsored child and others in the community can benefit from quality education, school health and nutrition programs and many other initiatives.
www.planusa.org Child sponsorship makes a difference in a child's life. Your participation results in benefits like safe, clean drinking water, improved education and health care, increased family income, and more in countries where such benefits are often unattainable. You'll be helping to provide the most basic needs of your sponsored child.
Another way to provide support is through the Heifer Project:
www.heifer.org/ After immediate needs for food, shelter, fresh water, clothing and other necessities have been met, Heifer works within communities to empower disaster survivors with the economic means 'such as livestock, training and other resources 'to rebuild their families, their neighborhoods and their hope for sustainable futures.
4. Share with others and invite their participation in whatever way works for them. (Like I'm doing right now.)
If you realize that you're a world citizen also and want to contribute as well, here's a web site that has a list of organizations that are at work in disaster relief: www.redcross.org/ www.networkforgood.org/
Help Support Disaster Relief in Southeast Asia People across Southeast Asia, stricken by the Tsunami Disaster, need your help to recover and rebuild 'many have lost everything. Please join millions of other generous Americans and support one or many of the important relief organizations with a safe and easy contribution now. Your cash contributions are desperately needed and will provide assistance to those whose lives have been devastated by this terrible disaster.
- 2005 Brad Swift of Life On Purpose Institute, Inc.
About the Author
Dr. Brad Swift founded Life On Purpose Institute in 1996 with the vision of creating a World On Purpose by assisting people like yourself to clarify their life purpose & live true to it. Determine how on or off purpose your life is with the fun & insightful Self Test at: http://lifeonpurpose.com/_forms/self-test.php?source=ezart Inspire yourself with a fr.ee subscription to Purposeful Pondering Ezine: http://lifeonpurpose.com/