Stand Up and Be Counted
I don't think you're going to like today's point. I don't like it very much myself but it's got to be done. For most purposes, when you give a presentation you should stand. Not clutching the back of your chair for support, not leaning against the podium but two feet on the floor facing your audience.
There are times when sitting is right. When it's an informal discussion, for example, where everybody is to contribute. But most of the time you need to stand.
You can move around the room. This has the simple effect that people will look at you, not shut their eyes and drift off You can make eye contact with everybody You can reach all your props and teaching material easily You're involving your whole body in the presentation. Many people think this makes it more memorable. You're sending out the signal to the participants that 'this will be short'. Only a few self-obsessed people stand up in front of audiences for longer than they need to. And you're not one of those, are you? The worst part of standing up is the actual standing up. Most people don't feel at ease as they get out of their chair and walk forward to their speaking position. Here are a couple of tips.
As you're waiting, keep your feet flat on the floor. Don't have them crossed. Trust me, getting up and walking will be so much easier. Decide in advance where you are going to stand. Focus on that spot Walk forward briskly and confidently And that's how you become a stand up sort of person.
About the author:
Pearson Brown writes regular articles on Public Speaking and Presentations at
Support your personal development with these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
- Public Speaking Fear ~ Banish speaking anxiety and nerves with hypnosis.
- Motivate Yourself to Exercise ~ Build a powerful exercise habit that you can't break.
- Get Rid of Fear & Anxiety ~ Stop worry and apprehension wrecking your life.
- Self Esteem ~ Break the negative trance of low self esteem and give yourself a chance in life.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
This is our selection of favorites, but there's a session for every need! Choose from over 800 Hypnosis Downloads...
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...