Want to renew your life?
We believe that everyone, given the tools, can live a brilliant life!
Speaking 'techniques to calm yourself
1. The best technique to calm yourself is to breathe deeply. Inhale through your nose until your stomach can stick out no further and then exhale through your mouth. Do this at least ten times and you will feel much better.
2. Arrive early and familiarize yourself with the room, the podium, the a/v equipment and the seating arrangement. Stand at the podium and breathe deeply.
3. Mix with the audience as they arrive. Find out a few names and ask them why they have come. Chatting to them informally helps break the ice and will help remind you that your audience is made up of ordinary people like you and me.
4. Bring a photo of a child, spouse, pet with you and keep it where you can see it. Glance at it from time to time. If you are getting lost in your speech, look at it for 5 seconds and gather your thoughts. Remember that you are somebody's hero.
5. Make eye contact with members of your audience. Look out for the friendly faces encouraging you to succeed. If you are too shy, connect with the empty chairs!
6. Smile warmly and act confidently and enthusiastically, even if you don't initially feel that way. As you begin to relax, this will become less of an act.
About the author:
Pearson Brown gives free Public speaking tips at htp://www.effective-public-speaking.com