Mommy & Baby: When Your Baby Cries
By Kirsten Hawkins
Babies cry. There's no denying this fact; it's the only form of communication they have! Deciphering which cry is which is the key, and understanding that not all crying is a bad thing is amazingly important as a parent.
Reasons for crying include:
- Out of routine
- Fed too often
- Just because he can (!!!)
The American Academy of Pediatrics recognizes that crying is a natural part of your baby's day; they tell parents to expect their babies to cry. Newborns can and will often cry a total of one to four hours per day. No mother can console her child every time he cries, so don't expect to be a miracle-worker and do what others cannot. Pay close attention to your baby's cries and you'll quickly be able to discern when he needs to be picked up & consoled, taken care of, or when he is better off left alone. Crying is a signal, not a judgment on your parenting skills!
The PDF parenting philosophy doesn't call for a suppression of all crying, understanding that not all crying is unhealthy, but the prevention of the crying can be very detrimental to both baby and parents as the child grows. PDF babies will move from dependence to independence because the system is built on relational security, not proximal security. Your baby will be secure in your relationship with him as you meet his needs, rather than just in the fact that you're in the same room with him. This is the sort of security parents want to infuse in their children to promote healthy bonding and independence as they grow.
Abnormal cry times include the following:
- During feedings
- Immediately after feedings
- At times when the baby wakes early out of a sound nap
Crying at one of these times deserves immediate attention. Don't wait for the crying to subside, investigate it quickly, looking for the root of the cause.
Normal cry times include the following:
- Just before feeding
- When baby is put down to nap
- During the late afternoon/early evening period (many babies are fussy at this time of day)
Without understanding your baby's cry patterns, you'll always be second-guessing at his need or desire. Do not ignore your baby's cry if you cannot pinpoint the root of it, but comfort him. Sometimes he just wants you, and that's okay! Part of your job as mommy is to soothe your baby and reassure him that you are here to meet his needs.
About The Author
Kirsten Hawkins is a baby and parenting expert specializing new mothers and single parent issues.
Support your personal development with these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
- Public Speaking Fear ~ Banish speaking anxiety and nerves with hypnosis.
- Motivate Yourself to Exercise ~ Build a powerful exercise habit that you can't break.
- Get Rid of Fear & Anxiety ~ Stop worry and apprehension wrecking your life.
- Self Esteem ~ Break the negative trance of low self esteem and give yourself a chance in life.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
This is our selection of favorites, but there's a session for every need! Choose from over 800 Hypnosis Downloads...
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...