Reveal your true amazing self!
- Learn key skills and insights to master ALL the challenges you face!
Standardized Testing Teaching Tips
By Freda J. Glatt, MS
Standardized tests can be very stressful for children. Here, therefore, are some tips for parents and children that may help.
Before the Test...for Parents and Children
1. Have children study every night during the year so they will understand the material as their teacher is presenting it. Clear up any confusion as they go. This will make them confident in their knowledge and lead to a review for the test rather than to learning new information.
2. The night before the test, do something that is fun to help keep them calm. All their heavy studying should be complete by then!
3. Of course, they should get a good night's sleep, eat a healthy breakfast, and leave for school with a positive attitude and confidence in themselves. Parents, that's where you can help immensely! Wish your children luck, give them a high five, let them know you believe in them...whatever it takes to lessen the pressure.
4. Pupils should ask their teacher if guessing will hurt their score. Sometimes, students are penalized for guessing.
5. Both children and parents, remember... no one is expected to make 100%! All that children can do is their best. Encourage them to do so.
During the Test...for Children
1. Read to understand each question carefully. Then read ALL the choices you are given.
2. Monitor your time. If you get stuck on a question, do not spend too much time on it. Concentrate on answering the questions you know for sure and then go back to the others if there is more time. REMEMBER: If you do this, put your answer in the right space on the bubble sheet! You should already know if guessing will hurt you.
3. If you get nervous, shut your eyes, take a deep breath, and let it out slowly.
I hope these suggestions are useful. GOOD LUCK!!
About The Author
Freda J. Glatt, MS, retired from teaching after a 34-year career in Early Childhood and Elementary Education. Her focus, now, is to reach out and help others reinforce reading comprehension and develop a love for reading. Reading is FUNdamental! Copyright © 2003-2006 Sandral Sensations, Inc., Fort Lauderdale, Florida All Rights Reserved.