Experiencing Peace as you would imagine Peace to be
When I access inner peace, I'm no longer impacted by events within my environment or by what I see on televison. Instead, when I step into my peace state, I find a place of profound stillness and connection with all. It's where I have absolutely no doubt that I am worthy, loved and supported.
Peace can mean quiet, tranquillity, serenity, peace of mind, mental calmness, friendliness, no wars, civil disorders or strife. Sometimes a word makes sense and other times there is no reference for it.
From my own experience I had no reference for the word 'happy'. Logically I knew what it was supposed to mean, however I couldn't relate to it. On the other hand I knew and experienced what 'contentment' and 'joy' was, but with 'happy' 'sadly I had no reference point.
The word 'happy' had to be demonstrated to me in order for it to have any meaning. 'Happy' was demonstrated to me by a male facilitator on a course I was on a couple of years ago. He started an impromptu, very silly dance which had me laughing for a long time afterwards. The memory of it still gets me smiling and gives me a 'happy' feeling which I fully experience throughout my body.
With that in mind whenever I step into peace I totally experience it through every cell in my body. How do I know that is what I'm experiencing? I feel it and link the word peace to that feeling.
Before trying the exercise on the next page I'd like you to ask yourself a few questions:
* Does the word 'peace' mean anything to you? If so, what does it mean?
* As you ask yourself this question, do you notice any sensations or feelings in parts of your body? Do you have a sense of colours, sounds, visual images, tastes or even smells? These are links to the word 'peace'. If the links are subtle you can increase them, if they are too full on you can decrease them.
* If the word 'peace' doesn't mean anything, link to a word that you can relate to that means much the same. For example, it would be a word that describes how you'd be feeling if you were gently floating through the air with no concerns or fears, and you were safe and comfortable, and experiencing a deep sense of quiet.
Before starting this exercise, practise with a few words such as peace, serenity, calm, friendliness, accepting etc. Also choose a time where the distractions will be minimal to nil for you to practise. The more you do the exercise the better you'll become at accessing this state wherever you are regardless of what is happening around you.
* Sit quietly 'breathing comfortably and deeply 'settled and safe in the space you find yourself, and give yourself permission to be fully present, now, here, just you and the sound of your inward and outward breath 'closing your eyes gradually and continuing to breathe in gentle rhythm.
* Fully experience stillness, there is you and only you.
* Imagine yourself now in the centre of your universe, fully supported, floating within this centre. As you do this imagine what it would feel like if you were sitting or laying on a light, feathery cloud.
* Breathe in this experience and allow the sensation to expand through every cell within your body.
* Allow all attachments to the physical world fall away dissolve, melt down for now, as you continue discovering your source, the very heart of you 'attachments like tentacles falling away now as you let go of any fear.
* Suspended within your universe 'move your awareness around you 'there are many wonderful things life has to offer 'this is the place where you can see, feel, hear and know that without prejudice.
* Locating your heart and the warm light that shines from it, notice how it radiates out from you in all directions, reaching and permeating through all time and beyond.
* Breathe in deeply knowing this light, radiates from your being.
* Notice a jelly like substance that protects you from being impacted from the thoughts of others, words that potentially could hurt begin to bounce and fall away because you're now becoming thick skinned 'only universal and unconditional love reaches you here.
* You can access and experience this place of inner peace anytime you want to, simply practise quietening your mind, breathing gently and allow the sensation what you know peace to be, to expand within you.
Whenever I've completed this exercise I feel lighter, brighter, clearer minded, and ready for whatever the day brings.
About the Author
Michaela is a Transformational Coach, certified practitioner of Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP), writer and Metaphysician who is totally committed to helping others create positive and action oriented changes to their lives.
Michaela is the author of the eBook 10 Colour Meditation Scripts, and publisher of a monthly e-newsletter called From My Desk.
You can contact her at http://www.michaelascherr.com.
Careers & Employment
Grief & Loss
Kids & Teens
Self Improvement & Motivation
Travel and Leisure