Following Successful Leadership Strategies
PERMISSION TO REPUBLISH: This article may be republished in newsletters and on web sites provided attribution is provided to the author, and it appears with the included copyright, resource box and live web site link. Email notice of intent to publish is appreciated but not required. Mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Management Consultant Suzanne Howard believes that leaders need not live a stressful life. So do I.
To help you maximize your leadership potential, here is a ten-point strategy she suggests:
* 1. Success: Most leaders have a sense of purpose, a mission that sets their standards for success. Develop and follow your own high standards.
* 2. Knowledge: Start with knowing yourself. Maximize your strengths and minimize your weaknesses.
* 3. Information: A manager has to know how to do something; a leader has to know why in order to do it.
* 4. Love: Begin by loving yourself. It is a prerequisite for loving others.
* 5. Learning: Leaders turn their errors and failures into learning experiences that contribute to their future successes.
* 6. Persistence: Persistence means overcoming your fear of failure and realizing that no one succeeds on their first try every time.
* 7. Opportunity: "The best way to miss success is to miss the opportunity", so says Mr. Willoughby Lewis, an insurance adjuster and good friend.
* 8. Winning: Part of this is an attitude or perception. Winners concentrate on their strengths and make things happen; losers let things happen.
* 9. Enthusiasm: The secret to having enthusiasm is working at a job you like. You can always learn the technical skills to work at a number of jobs, but when you work at a job you like your enthusiasm naturally shows through.
* 10. Renewal: Take time to be good to yourself. Have fun. Go shopping. Take a trip. Reward yourself. These are different ways to renew your vitality, your enthusiasm, and your focus.
Remember: When you maximize your potential, everyone wins. When you don't, we all lose.
About the Author
Etienne A. Gibbs, MSW, Management Consultant and Trainer, conducts seminars, lectures, and writes articles on his theme: "... helping you maximize your potential." For more information visit www.maximizingyourpotential.blogspot.com, or email him at email@example.com.