Easily Substitute Fats In Your Everyday Diet
By Gary Matthews
Lets face it there are a lot of non-fat and low fat food substitutions on the market today, and also lots of substitutions that are not hard to figure out such as the cheeses, low fat cottage cheese compared to full cream cheese and tuna packed in brine instead of oil.
Below is a list of tips for lower-fat substitutions that will please you and also help you in your entertaining. You can apply these substitutions in your everyday diet whether it is at work, home, or dining out.
Current Food -- Change to
Cheese - High fat types"Cheddar and other hard cheeses. -- Lower fat varieties e.g. Edam, Cottage, Mozzarella, Ricotta, Gouda.
Chips/French fries -- Thick cut "wedges or oven baked chips
Chocolate -- Eat in moderation and buy the best quality. Substitute jelly babies or other sugar treat.
Cream -- Reduced fat cream, use low-fat yoghurt or evaporated skim milk.
Creamed Soups -- Check label for fat, use clear soups.
Croissants, pastries -- Bagels, bread rolls, finger buns.
Custard -- Low fat custard
Doughnuts -- Crumpets, plain scones, raisin loaf.
Ice Cream -- Reduced fat Varieties.
Meat (beef, lamb, pork) -- Lean beef, trim lamb, new pork or other 90%. Fat free cuts/mince.
Muesli Bars -- Check label for fat, buy breakfast bars, Power bars.
Pies -- Reduced fat pies, use filo pastry
Potato Crisps -- Pretzels
Salad dressings - Mayonnaise, French -- Use vinegar or lemon juice
Savoury biscuits -- Wheat crisp bread
Sweet biscuits -- Plain biscuits wheat meal.
TV meals -- Lower fat varieties (check label for fat).
There are many ways to achieving a reduced fat diet. Here are some examples:
- If you like butter or margarine on toast, only have it on the last slice you eat.
- If you don't feel like a solid breakfast, have a fruit smoothie.
- Mix up your own cereal from two or three types and give your creation a name.
- If you eat lunch away from home, plan it the night before. Make sandwiches before you go to bed.
- Try some thick vegetable soup with a fresh bread roll to dip.
- Invest in a cool bag to keep your lunch fresh.
- Try oven-baked potato wedges with a salsa topping.
- Go for fresh pasta with a quick tomato and basil sauce.
- for dessert, have a piece of fresh fruit with a yoghurt topping.
- Salsa dip with pretzels
- Plain fruit loaf
- Vanilla dairy custard.
Before a workout
- Small glass of fruit juice
- Banana and Custard
- Half a slice of toast with jam.
After a workout
- Fruit/canned fruit
- Wheat Bites
- Rice cakes with honey.
- On your desk - bottle of water or glass to use at the water dispenser.
- In your desk - piece of fruit, small pull-top can of baked beans/creamed corn/stewed fruit.
- Bring a few ingredients from home to be combined at work.
- Keep some cutlery where you work.
On a Plane
- Order a special meal when you book your ticket. You'll usually get served first.
- Ask for an extra roll or two.
At the Hotel
- Take your own favourite cereal and reduced fat milk.
- Ask that the foods be removed from the snack bar. Eat your own low fat nibbles.
Burger Bar - Plain grilled burger, skim milk milkshake.
Pizza Parlour - Gourmet pizza with lots of veggies, go easy on the cheese.
Kebab House - A little meat with a lot of salad.
Sandwich Bar - Salad sandwiches/Rolls.
Club - A little meat, heaps of mashed/jacked potato and veggies, pasta/rice.
Indian - Lots of boiled rice, tikka, plain naan, dahl soup, raita.
Chinese - Lots of boiled rice, chop suey, steamed dishes, plain noodles.
Italian - Tomato-based dishes, plain bread.
Suggestions in General
- Record your food intake to identify problem areas. E.g. emotional eating, unwanted hunger cravings, over-eating.
- Pay specific attention to the times when you over eat.
- Try to avoid severe food restriction (like fasting, low calorie dieting).
- When measuring your progress, monitor body fat levels, not weight, and throw the scale out.
- Aim for slow fat loss (one pound / week)
In conclusion, for the majority of us entertaining can be difficult owing to the food being too rich and loaded with calories but there can be a way by lowering the fat and maintaining the taste and this can be easier than you think.
About The Author
Gary Matthews is the author of the popular fitness eBooks Maximum Weight Loss and Maximum Weight Gain. Please visit http://www.maximumfitness.com right now for your 'free' weight loss or muscle building e-courses.
Careers & Employment
Grief & Loss
Kids & Teens
Self Improvement & Motivation
Travel and Leisure