The Truth About Infertility
By Robert Thatcher
Infertility is the inability to conceive; it may be remedied. However, should the conditions persist, it is referred to as sterility.
In the United States, one out of every 8 to 10 couples are childless because of infertility; it is a major medical and social problem. Both husband and wife are urged to seek medical attention for complete examinations and evaluation, since almost as many men as women cause a sterile marriage.
It is usually recommended that the male be evaluated first, because tests for the female are more expensive and time-consuming. Such tests may require the services of a urologist, gynecologist, endocrinologist, and internist.
In the female, the organs of reproduction and the glands influencing them are evaluated. Among the causative factors may be displacement and tumors of the uterus, genital infantilism, and inflammation. To allow fertilization of an ovum, it is necessary that the vagina, cervix, and uterus to be patent and have mucosal secretions receptive to the sperm. Semen is alkaline, as is cervical secretion; normal vaginal secretion is acid.
Treatment is directed towards correcting the deficiencies encountered in the individual patient. The following tests assist the gynecologist in delimiting the problem.
1. Rubin test
This procedure is to determine the potency of the fallopian tubes by introducing carbon dioxide through a sterile canula into the uterus, into the tubes, and into the peritoneal cavity.
By listening with a stethoscope on the abdomen, the physician may hear the gas swishing into the abdomen. If the pressure gauge reaches 200 mm. of a mercury, an occlusion may be suspected.
2. Salpinogram; Hysterosalpingogram
A radiopaque substance is often used to determine the site of tubal obstruction; an x-ray picture then shows the outline of the tubal lumen.
3. Hubner test
Within an hour or two after intercourse, the physician aspirates cervical secretions with a long cannula. The woman is to be instructed not to void, bathe, or douche between coitus and the examination; a perineal pad is worn until she is placed in "lithotomy position in the examining room. Aspirated material is placed on a slide and examined under microscope for presence and viability of sperm cells.
The treatment of sterility is a difficult matter, because it may be caused by a combination of several factors. Efforts are made to build up the general health of the patient, supplying lacking glandular hormones as indicated.
Operative treatments include removal of obstructions and plastic operations to restore tubal potency. Unfortunately, these are not too successful; in addition, there is a high incidence of tubal pregnancy following such operations.
The psychic and social factors of infertility must not be overlooked. Among some religious groups and nationalities, it is important to have blood descendants; adopting children is not acceptable in these families.
In other family groups, the man's virility, or woman's femininity are suspected when a couple fails to have children. Many pregnancies have occurred after an infertile couple has adopted a child, moved to another location, or the husband had a change of jobs.
All of these things indicate that the concepts behind infertility are not absolute and concrete. There are instances that the information about this particular problem may have underlying causes that should not be blamed on the inability of the person to conceive.
Boiled down, the problem on infertility is more of a social problem than a biological problem. It is not the aspect of not being able to conceive that persons involved are hesitant to disclose the matter.
If it is more than just biological malady, then, it requires tough solutions.
About The Author
Robert Thatcher is a freelance publisher based in Cupertino, California. He publishes articles and reports in various ezines and provides infertility resources online.
Careers & Employment
Grief & Loss
Kids & Teens
Self Improvement & Motivation
Travel and Leisure
Support your personal development with these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
- Public Speaking Fear ~ Banish speaking anxiety and nerves with hypnosis.
- Motivate Yourself to Exercise ~ Build a powerful exercise habit that you can't break.
- Get Rid of Fear & Anxiety ~ Stop worry and apprehension wrecking your life.
- Self Esteem ~ Break the negative trance of low self esteem and give yourself a chance in life.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.