1. We are stress-free when we no longer want anything to do with sitting in judgment of others, regardless of their perceived transgression. We realize that we live in an intelligent universe whose unerring system of justice ensures that no act—good or evil—goes unrewarded.
Exercise: Learn what it means to leave those who would punish you with word or deed to the bitter fruit of their own designs. Let go of the judge in you by recognizing we cannot hold someone’s feet to the fire without getting burned ourselves.
2. We are stress-free when we never again feel envy for any other human being because of their position or possessions in life. We understand that regardless of external appearances, the quality of our life experience is not determined by what we may or may not possess, but only by what we have allowed to take possession of our heart.
Exercise: Catch and drop any part of yourself that wants you to think about yourself relative to others by comparing yourself to them. Serve your True Nature instead by choosing to remember that who you really are is incomparable.
3. We are stress-free when we never again allow ourselves to get caught up in some mad rush, regardless of what seems at stake. We know that wherever we are, whatever the circumstances, we are always in the right place at the right time to further our relationship with Life.
Exercise: Real victory in Life is always the discovery that we can’t give ourselves away to negative states and experience a positive outcome. Detect and reject any feeling that wants to put its rush on you.
4. We are stress-free when not one part of us harbors any hatred or resentment for any other human being, regardless of how badly that person may have once treated us. We have seen for ourselves that giving any dark state a reason to exist is the same as supplying it with a hidden refuge in ourselves.
Exercise: Realize that it isn’t our enemies who are burdened by those black wishes we hold for them, but it is we who are held hostage in the darkness of our unenlightened nature. To see that it is hatred that hates is to let it go.
5. We are stress-free when we have no fear of shouldering those moments when life brings more challenges than we have ever had to handle before. We understand the great law of Life that holds we cannot be harnessed to any load without being given the subsequent strength we need to succeed with it.
Exercise: Always accept a little more responsibility whenever conditions in life ask you to step up and test your inner resolve. Just as our willingness to risk failure is one of the prerequisites for learning to live without fear, so too is our willingness to reach the end of our power an invitation to realize a source of a power within us without end.
Excerpted from Let Go and Live in the Now by Guy Finley
About Guy Finley
Best-selling “Letting Go” author Guy Finley’s encouraging and accessible message is one of the true bright lights in our world today. His ideas cut straight to the heart of our most important personal and social issues – relationships, success, addiction, stress, peace, happiness, freedom – and lead the way to a higher life.
Guy is the acclaimed author of The Secret of Letting Go and more than 37 other books and audio programs that have sold over a million copies in 16 languages worldwide.