Power Representations: Vision Board and Shrine
By Rhett Bise
I have been thinking a lot about representations lately and how important they are in our journey, mostly because I have been spending a lot of time in front of my shrine lately, to retain my center.
Representations are a way to physically create the new reality you want, to help train your unconscious mind to move toward those things you want in your life, and to make those good, centered feelings your "normal state" of being. The two I recommend, the Vision Board and the Shrine, create anchors, positive mental patterns to attract those things you want, and attract those powerful states of being into your reality. These are visual/ sensory anchors to serve as reminders to your mind of your journey and to help your subconscious mind create the life you want.
The Vision Board is a visual representation of the things in your evolved self and your evolved life. It is a large picture comprised of many smaller pictures of things that represent what you want in yourself and your life, the life of your life as a hero.
In the old days, people would cut pictures out of magazines and paste them to poster board. If you desire, you can still do that, but in the age of technology, this is not necessary. Mine is on PowerPoint and I access it periodically on my computer and also through my iPhone. In addition, I printed out color copies of my vision board which I can keep with me and access wherever I go.
You can obtain images of just about anything you would want to put in your vision board from Google Images, plus some of your own pictures you can upload. You can use software like PhotoShop, PowerPoint, or numerous others to arrange the pictures as you like.
There are not a lot of "rules," except that this board will need two things - an image of you and an image of your evolved self. Make sure those pictures are somewhere on the board and bordering each other so you know it is you evolving into the image of your ideal self.
Other than that, put in pictures of whatever is important to you, things you want in your life, representations of your way of being, whatever works for you. I have images of my family, my hobbies, my goals, such as writing, subtle energy, Tantric images, and pictures that represent the peaceful, grounded, present, carefree, confident state of my evolved self.
You might find yourself moving and changing pictures. Maybe part of your board represents the "to do" section, and another the "done" section, and you move images as you grow, adding new "to do" images along the way.
One suggestion, if you want to attract women in your life, have the images of women around the image of you and your evolved self, so it's clear it's you with these women and not just girlie pinup artwork.
Have this board so you can access it daily, preferably several times throughout the day. Use it as part of your meditation; maybe begin by looking at the vision board, then holding that image as you begin your meditation.
Obviously, use your judgment at work. Some vision boards are not appropriate for cubicle land. You can explore creating two vision boards, one for work and one for home, or ways to access your vision board at work without getting you in trouble with the boss (or sued by your employees, if you are the boss).
What is the value in this? It creates a picture for your subconscious mind, which will begin drawing those things into your life. You don't have to consciously think about what you're looking at, in fact it works better if you just look at it and allow yourself to "zone out" a bit, just let it drop into your subconscious.
Make your vision board a daily part of your life, even if it's just a few moments a day. Your mind does not need to see it for hours on end, and the last thing you want is your mind creating resistance to your vision board by seeing it as work. So see it as a way to relax and go to your good place. Make it something you genuinely enjoy looking at and try "feeling into" your vision board when the opportunity presents itself, feeling the images and the overall impression of how it feels to be in that life. See if you can make your vision board come alive for you in your mind and know it will come alive for you in your life.
Lately I have been spending a lot of time in front of my shrine. It has elements - visual and scent (in the form of aromatherapy) - that help bring me into that calm, centered, empowered state which is my source of personal power and positive growth.
A shrine is your physical anchoring spot, a place where you can feel grounded in something that represents YOU. This is not about changing your religion or anything like that, although you can make it as spiritual as is right for you. This is a place where, when you are here, it is your space, with things that inspire you and make you feel good about yourself. Looking at your shrine, you feel like a hero.
So find an area in your living space. It can be a shelf, a mantle, a part of a bookshelf, the top of your dresser. Find items that make you feel good, that represent you, that inspire you. It does not have to make sense, it does not have to fit the décor of the rest of your place (unless you are so aligned that your entire home at this moment is a perfect reflection of you, in which case a shrine might be redundant), it does not have to be a "shrine" in the classical sense. Just start finding things that either have great meaning to you or inspire you, and arrange them in a way that, when you look at this, it feels like your space, and only your space.
One recommendation is to try to include the four elements in your shrine - water, fire, earth and air. Air can be accomplished by placing the shrine by a window, but you can play with this as you see fit, if it interests you. Tantric practitioners make a point of involving the four elements. If that is something you would like in your life, this is a good place to start.
Mine is this old, ratty bookshelf I bought at a yard sale for a buck from this Irish guy who was moving to Japan, so there is even a story behind the bookshelf. It sits on my porch (air). It has this little bamboo plant (earth, water) and lots of candles (fire). It has a collection of items that either mean something to me, represent a good time in my life, or look awesome and inspiring. I also have my aromatherapy water diffusers there, and two drawers to hold my aromatherapy oils. I have arranged it so it just feels like me when I am there, and it feels big and calming and spiritual. It even smells awesome. It is a corner of the universe that is mine and it feels great being there.
This shrine is a way to remind yourself of your greatness, to deepen your self-love and find a place of grounding, to find your center. I recommend you add and change it periodically as things come in and out of your life, and that you consider having something living in it, to represent life energy.
How Do You Know These Are Working?
There are really only two ways you know these representations are working for you. First, looking at them makes it easier for you to access your peak state. In other words, you feel good, empowered, centered in the presence of these representations. And every time you visit them, it gets a little easier to access that state, and the state gets a little more powerful, a little more clear.
Second, you find yourself drawing the things you are asking for into your life. What you have put into your vision board and shrine start appearing, either as things in your life or feelings and experiences. It is important to focus on the things you are wanting as if they have already happened. If "nothing happens," you will want to evaluate. Perhaps you are not being clear or honest with what you truly desire in your life. Perhaps the representations are not powerful or positive enough. Perhaps your mindset is negative when you look at your vision board and shrine. Keep refining and adjusting until it "clicks" for you. And know that it will.
+ Support your personal development with these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
- Find Your Identity ~ Know deep-down really who you are.
- Believe In Yourself ~ Build trust in who you are and what you can do.
- Self Discipline ~ Finally take charge of your life.
- Develop Powerful Resilience ~ How to be more robust to knocks in life.
- Awakening Intuition ~ Learn how to pay attention to your unconscious.
- Sweet Tooth ~ Train your brain to lose your sweet tooth.
- Finish What You Start ~ Sprint all the way past the finish line.
- Do It Now ~ A hypnosis audio to trigger deep, emotionally driven activity.
- Life Priorities ~ Hypnosis can help you clarify what really matters to you.
- Stop Thinking About Someone ~ A session to help you move on from thoughts that have been constantly pestering you.
- Public Speaking Fear ~ Banish speaking anxiety and nerves with hypnosis.
- Motivate Yourself to Exercise ~ Build a powerful exercise habit that you can't break.
- Get Rid of Fear & Anxiety ~ Stop worry and apprehension wrecking your life.
- Self Esteem ~ Break the negative trance of low self esteem and give yourself a chance in life.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
The New Wave in Meditation Technology
is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life