Acting in the Day — Not Troubled for Tomorrow
By Steve Wickham
What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, 'If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that.' As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil. Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins.
~James 4:14b-17 (NIV).
We, of course, must plan our lives, and certainly to that end to live in eternity, and not least of which now, extending until our last breath is taken - of which we don't know when that is.
Perhaps what James is saying is our plans should always be mindfully prefaced in the coming of the Lord and in the fact of our imminent demise, whichever comes first. Where we do not do this - and it is not generally our custom to bear it continually in mind - we sin; for, the plans we make try to delude God of what is his.
And, still, we are the ones deluding ourselves, and we don't just do it on a personal or interpersonal scale. We do it organisationally too, for instance, in our church planning or in our mission activities. The secular world, certainly, thrives on it.
We Should Still Plan
Our planning should always be commended to God as being provisional on his bequest of life. We should still plan. But what we shouldn't do is plan as if there will be no end, for there is a rapid end for every one of us, and that day is steadily approaching. Not that that's a depressing reality by any means!
If we believe God is good - and he is - then we'll have faith that he will see us through the good works we do for him now, seeing them through to completion.
Yet, even that is an inexplicable wish of our hearts. Just because we might fall short of the time required to achieve 'our mission for God' wouldn't mean that God is not a good God. We ran our race. We just don't know the full story, that's all.
Boasting and Evil
Why is the boasting in the James passage above, evil?
It deludes, living a lie, and it leaves God out of the equation.
Imagine not paying our rent or the monthly payments on our mortgage, and what's more, not bothering to tell the bank or the landlord. It is the same when we make detailed plans without prefacing them in, "If it is the Lord's will." Like the landlord, God knows we're defrauding him.
If we do this consciously - and just about all of us don't; we do it subconsciously - we sin. Now that we know the truth about our plans for tomorrow, a thing we'll never have - as we only have today, it is important that we try and instil the habit of recognition for our planning, with God at the forefront.
Even More Reason
Because we're all so very apt at setting our expectations upon the achievement of our plans, this imperative from James is even more important. It defuses the self-inflated importance of our plans; those without God in view.
We can easily see here that our best God-blessed position is to see every perceptible eventuality before we set our mind, and our heart-of-hearts, on one particular plan coming to pass.
Being that this would actually be impossible - to perceive every possible outcome - we're best keeping an open mind and heart on such things, and always holding out - and wishing - for God's will to become apparent, and then to have the power and volition to carry it out.
Support your personal development with these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
- Find Your Identity ~ Know deep-down really who you are.
- Believe In Yourself ~ Build trust in who you are and what you can do.
- Self Discipline ~ Finally take charge of your life.
- Develop Powerful Resilience ~ How to be more robust to knocks in life.
- Awakening Intuition ~ Learn how to pay attention to your unconscious.
- Sweet Tooth ~ Train your brain to lose your sweet tooth.
- Finish What You Start ~ Sprint all the way past the finish line.
- Do It Now ~ A hypnosis audio to trigger deep, emotionally driven activity.
- Life Priorities ~ Hypnosis can help you clarify what really matters to you.
- Stop Thinking About Someone ~ A session to help you move on from thoughts that have been constantly pestering you.
- Public Speaking Fear ~ Banish speaking anxiety and nerves with hypnosis.
- Motivate Yourself to Exercise ~ Build a powerful exercise habit that you can't break.
- Get Rid of Fear & Anxiety ~ Stop worry and apprehension wrecking your life.
- Self Esteem ~ Break the negative trance of low self esteem and give yourself a chance in life.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
The New Wave in Meditation Technology
is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life