Introduction     Search/Sitemap
Trans4mind Home Page
Home Article Library Traveling

3 Ways to Get a Green Card

Green Card

Fall is approaching fast and so is the Green Card lottery application time along with it. Find out if you’re eligible to apply for it and make all your American Dreams come to life. While lottery winners are always somewhat random, you can still become a US resident by following the path that is perfect for your case. 

Employment with a US Company

To apply for the employment stream, you should qualify for at least one of the following classifications.

  • Persons with special talent
  • People with outstanding abilities
  • Professors, scholars and researchers with remarkable talent
  • Individuals that have special skills that can benefit the U.S interest
  • Professionals with a lot of experience working for multinational companies

There are several more categories that include, but are not limited to:

  • People with a U.S Bachelor’s degree or an international equivalent
  • Skilled/Unskilled workers
  • Medical workers
  • Applicants who qualify to work in a profession that’s on Shortage Occupation list

If you wish to know whether your line of work qualifies you to apply for a Green Card, this list of Green card qualifying jobs may help you figure out your eligibility. 

Green Card

Immigration via Family Reunion

The U.S. government has provided potential residents with a number of methods for them to immigrate. 

When you have a family member who’s a citizen or a Green Card holder in the U.S, you can be eligible for the fastest and most popular way to getting a Green Card. 

Family members who are U.S citizens can petition for following immediate relatives to obtain permanent residency: 

  • Spouses
  • Unwed children under 21 y/o
  • Parents of U.S citizens who are over 21

On top of that there are a couple more categories that may have you qualified to apply. You still have a decent chance even without being an immediate relative. 

  • 1st preference: Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S citizens over 21
  • 2nd preference: Spouses of Green Card holders, children over 21 of permanent residents 
  • 3rd preference: Married children of any age of U.S citizens
  • 4th preference: Siblings or cousins of U.S citizens 

Relatives residing in the U.S must have a legal confirmation of the relationship using a USCIS I-130 form. 

Green Card for Asylum Seekers and Refugees

The United States laws allow for refugees to apply for permanent residency one year after first arriving in the country. 

Applying through a refugee stream makes you eligible to use an adjustment of status form if you meet all the necessary standards. Refugees and asylum seekers can use that form instead of applying with the general I-130 or I-140 petition for a Green Card.

  • Refugees are required to petition for a Green Card a year upon arrival
  • Asylees don’t have to apply for a Green Card

Once you establish which category you fit best, then you can start preparing your documents. Applying for a Green Card may seem like a difficult process unless you prepare yourself well in advance. 

To have a better understanding of what to expect when applying for a Green Card, use an online service with the test application form, which is a copy of the real DV program form, that can relieve you from the unnecessary stress when filing an actual application.

Green Card

Did you find this article helpful? Share your thoughts with friends...

Share on Facebook   Share on Twitter
More Travel articles at the Counterpoint Article Library
You'll find good info on many topics using our site search:
Trans4mind HomeResourcesArticle Library