Why You Need a DUI Lawyer After
a Drunk Driving Accident
It was a really fun night with the boys and lots of beer until you decided to play Speed Racer on the way home and hit the car in front of you. The car landed in a ditch.
As soon as the police officer investigating the accident got a whiff of your breath, he knew the cause of the accident. You scored well over the permitted 0.08 percent on the breathalyzer test.
The first thing you’ll need to do when you get home is to find a good among all the other DUI attorneys to help you defeat or minimize the charges that are coming your way.
DUI Is No Joke
DUI (driving under the influence) may earn you some bragging rights among your friends. But driving is never a game. Every day in the US, about 32 people – or one every 45 minutes – die in an alcohol-related crash, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
In 2021, 11,654 people died in DUI-related accidents.
A Serious Crime
In most states, DUI is a serious crime. According to https://mgalaw.com/, penalties vary from state to state. But wherever you are, if you’re charged with driving under the influence, it’s unlikely you’ll avoid a fine.
Fines average from about $500 for a first offense to about $2,000 for a serious accident or multiple offenses.
Your driver's license will probably be suspended, too. The suspension could last from 30 days to much longer. But if that sounds bad, your car also could be taken away or equipped with a device that would keep you from driving it.
You could also go to jail. Depending on the seriousness of the accident, you could spend between 30 days and years behind bars.
Why You Need a Lawyer
DUI is not a “do-it-yourself” defense. The stakes are too high to risk making a mistake or antagonizing the judge.
You may be wondering, “What does a DUI lawyer do?” An experienced DUI lawyer will…
- Have a thorough understanding of your case, based on experience with many others. He can tell you what the likelihood of your being sentenced is.
- Will guide you on the best action to take, whether it’s pleading not guilty or a plea deal.
- Build a strong case in your favor using his knowledge of regulations, laws, and precedents. That can lead to a lighter sentence or complete dismissal.
- Ask for your license to be reinstated.
DUI attorneys are expensive. But you’ll probably find it’s worth every penny to have a skilled and knowledgeable partner by your side as you make your way through the legal system.
Finding a DUI Lawyer
Finding a great DUI attorney will take some research. The person you choose could affect the outcome of your case and your life for years to come.
How to find a lawyer…
- Base your decision on years of experience and cases won, not price. Don’t believe “guarantees” on websites unless you check them out yourself.
- Ask friends and family members for recommendations. Ask on social media, too. If you’re embarrassed, ask a friend to post for you.
- Make a list of the possibilities, and meet them all in person. The lawyer who makes you feel most comfortable is the one to hire.