Everything You Need to Know
About Educational Assistants
The educational or teaching assistant is an indispensable part of the teaching team of schools, colleges and high schools. They help to develop a pedagogical strategy to ensure support for students with difficulty. It is a job that requires method and versatility. You can register for the Education Assistant Diploma at ABM College to receive the required training in this field. We present in this article a job description of the teaching assistant.
What is an Educational Assistant?
The pedagogical assistant in the school environment constitutes an essential field staff. It provides academic support for students with difficulty and completes the system of educational assistants. In other words, the mission of educational assistants is complementary to that of teachers. In addition, this mission is precisely defined by the head of the establishment on the proposal of the relevant board or council.
The role of a teaching assistant
- Help students prepare for exams in the best possible conditions. In other words, it is a methodological and transversal help for pupils in difficulty. They also help with homework, providing support, knowledge and experience.
They carry out the functions of support to the teaching staff for the support and pedagogical accompaniment of students in difficulty:
- Interviews with students
- Meetings with teachers and the principals around the situation of students
- Participation in enrollment monitoring teams in the monitoring unit
- Participation in assistance schemes
- Education support
- Methodological and transversal help
- Help with personal work.
The skills and knowledge of the teaching assistant
- Know the education system and its challenges
- Know the professional environment
- Educational objectives and projects of the establishment
- Child and adolescent psychology and sociology
- Knowledge of digital tools
- Good academic level to help students up to the end of the year
- Attendance, punctuality
- Reserve duty
- Listening skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Ability to exercise authority
- Ability to take initiative
- To be dynamic
- Good command of the language
Who hires education assistants?
First of all, education assistants must hold a diploma attesting to years of study and their qualifications in the field. In addition, pedagogical assistants must be recruited as a priority among scholarship students preparing for entrance examinations to school teaching bodies.
In addition, “difficult” schools, colleges and high schools recruit teaching assistants to carry out missions, supporting the teaching staff, providing support and pedagogical support for students in difficulty.
They also work in training institutes, apprenticeship or adult training centers.
In addition, his schedule is decided by the head of the establishment, according to the needs of the service and taking into account these training requirements.
How much does an education assistant earn?
Indeed, the median salary for teaching assistant jobs in the US is $34,964 per year or $16.81 per hour.
Entry-level positions start with a salary of around $22,000 per year, while more experienced workers earn up to $29,500 per year. With the right training, you can become the best in this field. Enroll for the Educational Assistant Diploma at ABM College and start your journey in this career.