Peace in Place of War
By Christiane Northrup, M.D.
The fear and anxiety caused by the possibility of war are the biggest health challenges we face right now. As a physician, I know full well that emotions such as fear and anger impede the healing process and, if held long enough, actually lock us into a vicious cycle that produces more pain, more fear, and more anxiety. This can wreak havoc on our minds, bodies, and spirits. But this doesn't have to be the case.
There are very specific things each of us can do right now to help prevent war and at the same time create peace in our bodies, minds, and spirits. I was strongly reminded of this week. Both of my daughters called from their respective colleges with concerns and worries about what they've heard on the news about a possible terrorist attack. One wanted to know what I thought about stockpiling cash, water, and canned goods. Her roommate's mother had sent them warnings. The other daughter wanted to know if I thought it was safe for her to go to NYC this weekend. I told them to go about their lives as usual, while paying attention to their inner guidance. I reassured them that they each had access to guidance from within that would lead them in the right direction if they paid attention. I also gave them a way to think about the current global situation that leads to healing and peace, not further conflict, and shared with them my unshakable belief that each of us has the power, through our thoughts and emotions, to influence the energy of the planet in a way that helps prevent further conflict and also creates peace. Here's what you can do.
- Use your thoughts wisely. Understand their power. Thoughts have a tendency to become their physical equivalent. This is one of the fundamental laws of the universe. Another one is the law of attraction, which states that "like attracts like." Because it is consciousness that creates reality, the kind of consciousness you hold-your vibration-actually creates the kind of life you're living. It's impossible to create peace and harmony if you're pushingup against a war. It's impossible to create peace and harmony if you're condemning George Bush, Dick Cheney, Colin Powell, etc. You don't have to agree with them, but realize that you'll be contributing to the energy that creates war if you assume an "embattled" mentality concerning them. The split in our nation right now about war is actually creating more of the energy of war. It's not possible to "fight" for peace without creating war.
- To create peace, you have to be peaceful. The only way to stop war is to start from within yourself. You must do personal disarmament. The only way to get and stay peaceful is to concentrate on what brings you peace and resist the downward spiral of negative emotions that blames others for your lack of peace. Remember, that to which you give your attention expands. Although there is no denying that we're in a perilous and frightening position right now, that doesn't mean we are powerless to change it. But the only way to do so is by changing your thoughts and emotions from those of anger, hatred, and fear to those associated with compassion and peace.
Spend 30 seconds several times a day creating a "virtual" reality of what peace would look and feel like. Imagine that it's a year from now and the economy is flourishing. George Bush is radiantly healthy; the governments of the free world are all cooperating to ensure global harmony and peace. And Saddam and Bin Laden and their influence have disappeared from the planet. Imagine all our soldiers back home and reunited with their families. Imagine a global village in which all of us can travel freely and joyously and with understanding and acceptance of each other's cultures.
Dozens of studies have documented the fact that our thoughts can and do affect others in profound and measurable ways. When a critical mass of individuals (1 percent of the population) was brought together to practice Transcendental Meditation in various areas of the world, for example, there was a measurable decrease in the number of violent crimes, suicides, terrorist attacks, and even international conflicts worldwide. (Orme-Johnson, et al. (1988). International Peace Project in the Middle East: The effect of the Maharishi technology on the unified field. Journal of Conflict Resolution, vol. 32, (4), pp. 776-812.) There are also over 180 studies that have documented the positive effect of prayer on everything from other humans to individual yeast cells.
- Imagine all the angels and non-physical beings who are working on the other side to protect and uplift all of us. Know that they can only do their work in an atmosphere of compassion, not condemnation. The energy of condemnation will prevent them from connecting with the hearts of those who most need their inspiration and love.
- Avoid watching the news and reading the newspapers. Headlines are designed to keep you afraid and disempowered so that you will buy more papers or watch more TV. Then you get "hooked" on the news because you're waiting for some official "guidance" that will keep you safe and secure. This simply can't happen, because it's not the way the media is set up. The media is designed to get you riled up, so that you remain tuned in to the "chain of pain." The only lasting safety and security come from the peace that you create within yourself. What's safe for one person will be dangerous for another. Remember all the hundreds of stories from September 11, about the people who were supposed to be at the World Trade Center but, for hundreds of different reasons, simply weren't there that day. Tune in to how you are feeling when you've severed the influence of the mass media. This will give you the guidance you're seeking.
- Finally, know that when you are tuned into your heart, your Inner Wisdom, and God, then your energy lightens up and your vibration literally changes. You become a beacon of light and peace. You become an uplifter and a peacemaker. There's an old saying, "The rising tide lifts all boats. But it won't raise a stone." Stop looking at and thinking about the stones. Join me in raising the tide.
And remember the words of the great M. K. Gandhi, "When in despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall."
Warmly, Christiane Northrup, M.D.
Peace is not a relationship of nations.
It is a condition of mind brought about by a serenity of soul.
Peace is not merely the absence of war. It is also a state of mind.
Therefore, lasting peace can come only to peaceful people...
From our extensive site, you'll find good info on many topics using this search:
Imagine if - with the help of personal development - the values of the heart could be brought into our families, communities and businesses... What kind of a world would this create?
By Wallace Huey & Peter Shepherd, Trans4mind Founders
Support your personal development with these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
This is our selection of favorites, but there's a session for every need! Choose from over 800 Hypnosis Downloads...
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
Profound Meditation provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Here is a link to a free 20-minute track from iAwake Technologies - a sample of the type of tools that will deepen your meditation immediately and help you quickly become a successful meditator. It's the opening track of iAwake's flagship product, the Profound Meditation Program, called the iAwake Experience...
I think you'll find this technology a tremendous aid on your transformative journey of becoming your best and most creative self - and you can get started today!