Learning from the Birds
By Silvia Nakkach
The singing voice is a vehicle connecting us with the flow of life that gushes through our being at full force. The singing voice, through the media of breath and sound, supports the process of transforming energy patterns, creates measurable beneficial effects in the physical body, and influences consciousness more efficiently than any other form of sound. Like no other sound, the voice becomes a link with our spiritual life by revealing deeper aspects of the Self.
My primary intention in writing this book is to remind us that we are born wanting to sing and that at any stage of life we can benefit from singing more. Singing starts in the womb and continues blissfully throughout our lives—on the playground, at the ballpark, at political rallies, in the concert hall, in our morning worship. Unsolicited singing emerges as an organic impulse to express out loud our membership in the universal community choir. We love it, and we long for more.
This book is based on the absolute belief that everybody can sing. In these pages, you will find a systematic method for freeing the voice to promote physical health and emotional well-being, encourage self-expression, cultivate artistry, and nurture happiness.
The media is buzzing lately with 'new' discoveries of how sound, vibration, and music can benefit our health and wellbeing. These benefits, now recognized by science, have been intuitively known by the human species throughout history. We can learn about this from the ancients, as well as from many indigenous people living today. The fact is that each and every one of us carries with us, at all times, a most valuable instrument for healing: our own natural voice.
When you start opening your voice—whether in a hum, through sounding long tones, by improvising, or with a favorite song—it's like a fountain and you can't stop the flow. If you keep yourself "in the open" by vocalizing every day (or as often as you can), your voice becomes your protection, your Buddha mind, your fountain of wealth and health, a soothing balm, the precious child that you adore, your chosen mother.
With regular practice, vocalizing, singing, and chanting become an ordinary miracle that effortlessly guides you to a sense of self-confidence, compassion, and love supreme. Your savings account toward radiant health and spiritual liberation will grow fat and happy!
Science is beginning to prove what ancient cultures fully embraced: your voice can become one of the most powerful agents of transformation in every facet of your life. With her book, Free Your Voice, Silvia shows how to reclaim the healing potential of your voice (regardless of training or experience) through more than 100 enjoyable exercises that are steeped in spiritual tradition and classical vocal technique and backed by the latest science.
Free Your Voice invites us to "savor a banquet of our own divine sounds" as we practice breathwork, chant, and other yogic techniques for emotional release, opening to insight, and much more. Supplemented by 32 downloadable digital audio tracks offering Silvia's guidance through many of the exercises, here is a definitive resource for implementing the voice as an instrument of healing and fulfillment, exploring:
- How to develop a practice of breath and voice, performed with consistency and imagination, where sound designs its own landscapes through the expressive power of the voice
- A series of sonorous yogic practices that involve subtle movements and the sustained focus of the mind in sound
- A gentle path for developing a voice that is fully embodied, uniquely expressive, and plaid like a fine musical instrument
- Invocatory words and ancient seed sounds that deliver explicit spiritual information for expansion of consciousness and well-being
- A beginning repertory of mantras and chants from many cultures that you can build on and share as you deepen your practice
- Techniques for vocal improvisation to engage your singing imagination and enrich your musical offerings
- How to foster confidence and kindness toward yourself as a vulnerable chanteur of the universal song
- How to cultivate singing as a spiritual practice for yourself and to serve a larger community
"With regular practice," writes Silvia, "vocalizing, singing, and chanting become an ordinary miracle that effortlessly leads you to a sense of self-confidence, compassion, and Love Supreme." Free Your Voice is your guide to discovering, opening, and revealing the full potential of your own voice.
Did you find this article helpful? Share your thoughts with friends...