Pros and Cons of VPNs
What is VPN? VPN stands for “virtual private network.” Let me explain what a VPN service is and what it can do for your online security!
VPNs have a lot to offer, but they are not perfect. We have prepared a list to help you better understand the advantages and disadvantages of a VPN...
- As long as you have the right VPN, you can stream your favorite tv show and watch free tv on firestick; you can even read your favorite forums without being prevented by any geographical restriction. VPN Hound websites will think that you are connecting from the region of your VPN server while you enjoy relaxing at home, thousands of kilometers away.
- The main advantage of a solid VPN is encryption, which provides an additional layer of security. Whether you are traveling or at home, using a VPN allows you to access your remote desktop and your home network with minimal risk.
- We have already mentioned the risks of using public wi-fi without protection; with a VPN you won't have to worry about someone getting your credentials when you drink your morning coffee or catch up on work stuff in your favorite cafeteria.
- It doesn't matter if your university blocks Facebook or if your government blocks all Western media; The principle of censorship is the same, and VPNs are a reliable solution to combat it. If you want to express your opinion without fear of legal repercussions, with a VPN you can do so with privacy.
- Using a VPN, you will prevent your Internet service provider from knowing what you do; In any case, your browsing activity or what you download is not a matter of your ISP or anyone else. You can also avoid throttling (intentional slowing down) of your bandwidth and enjoy your Internet connection at full speed, as it should.
- If you want to make sure that your messages and emails only reach those you have written to, using a VPN is a good idea. Your important information will be private and snoopers will not be able to put their noses in it.
- If you are a hardcore gamer, you will know that DDoS attacks are primitive but effective, and that they can ruin your fun in an instant, especially if you play competitive multiplayer games where there are many people who do not know using a VPN, you can quickly change server and get a new IP address, avoiding any malicious attack intended for you.
- A VPN redirects your internet connection through its own servers, which slows down your connection. Also, remember that the faster your connection is, the less it will be affected by this.
- In some cases, the provider may be forced to deliver user information due to data retention laws; in others, the service may request that you enable the storage of information records in your client in order to help you with a problem you might be having.
There are also some subjective disadvantages that should not be considered cons, but should be mentioned:
Today, many VPN Hound websites pay close attention to unlock software. These websites have strict detection mechanisms in place that block the access of users who are using a VPN service - if they discover that they are using one, of course. It is the game of cat and mouse, although luckily there is always a solution. For more information on this topic, you can read our guide on how to overcome VPN crashes with ease.
You could be opening a door to IP spoofing (that perform activities with your same IP) and to be blacklisted. This means that the IP address you use (the one that gives you the VPN) is shared by many users of the same provider, greatly facilitating IP spoofing.
Moreover, the activities of a VPN client could bring about that IP address being boycotted by certain administrations, and you wouldn't know until you saw that you are not ready to interface. Sometimes, this may bring about outsiders confiding in less of such help (for example your bank, email have, and so on.), in spite of the fact that it is something you can maintain a strategic distance from by picking a VPN that likewise offers static IP addresses, which enables you to have an IP address only for you that you can use for all the more requesting administrations without losing the benefits of VPN innovation.
More information here about the pros and cons of using a VPN.