What is Aircrack-ng | How to Hack WiFi using Aircrack-ng
This blog will show you all about Aircrack-ng. We will see what is Aircrack-ng, what is pre-shared key, what is packet sniffing, how to use it to hack Wi-Fi and how it actually works. I will also refer a video link where you can also see everything practically. So, let’s get started
What is pre-shared key?
A pre-shared key is a piece of string that authenticated users already have to connect with Wi-Fi - in simple words it is just a password of Wi-Fi.
What is packet sniffing?
Whenever a hacker wants to capture packets from your network like a middle man this process known as packet sniffing. It is also popular as eavesdropping.
What is Aircrack-ng?
Aircrack-ng is a pen-testing tool that is used by networkers and ethical hackers to evaluate the security of wireless networks. Aircrack-ng is capable to monitor, attack, test and crack Wi-Fi security.
Features of Aircrack-ng
- It is used to monitor wireless network traffic
- It is used to attack and crack Wi-Fi networks and passwords respectively.
- It is used for wireless network testing
- Aircack-ng is a full suite that consists different utilities inside like airodum-ng, airplay-ng and aircrack-ng.
- It is open-source and anyone can use it. It comes pre-installed on security-based Linux like Kali, Parrot, Gaduda, Black Arch etc.
How to download and install Aircrack-ng?
If you are using different Linux system then you can download it by running below command:
sudo apt install aircrack-ng
Note: We're only teaching you for educational purposes and to broaden your horizons. Because we know that both ethical and non-ethical hackers use these tools, we will not be held liable for any unlawful/false actions you engage in.
Understanding flow of Wi-fi hacking
The below picture will help you to understand each step flow wise.
- First, we will configure our NIC card (NIC is a hardware device that is responsible to use Wi-Fi from your system
- Now we will try to gather all information of available nearby or targeted Wi-Fi such as MAC address, BSSID etc.
- On third step we will de-authenticate the connected host with targeted Wi-Fi (The main goal is to disconnect user from target Wi-Fi so that whenever it connect again we will capture the exchange packet and then crack the password from the captured packet by using brute-forcing)
- Now we will capture the packet that will be exchanged during reconnection
- At last, we will decrypt the packet by using popular brute-force technique
How to use Aircrack-ng to hack Wi-fi?
I know most of you just curious to know how to hack or crack Wi-Fi and you may only click for this part so I will not take more time and take you directly to that part.
I have made a full detail blog where I have explained each and every step with screenshot and also on that blog there is a practical video. If you want to learn the procedure you can click on How to use Aircrack-ng | Aircrack-ng tutorial [Practical demonstration]
What is 3-Way handshake?
The three-way handshake is used in TCP/IP network. It is a process to exchange packets to establish successful connection between client and server. In this process TCP exchange 4 packets that are described below
SYN: This is the first packet that exchanged between server and client to start establishing connection request
ACK: This is the second packets that acknowledge that the client receives the SYN packet
SYN-ACK: This is both exchanged packet SYN of now and ACK of earlier
FIN: This packet sends at the end when network termination is required
I hope you understand a glance of Aircarck-ng. Now you can easily understand what is Aircrack-ng, how to use it for W-Fi hacking, what are basics terms like pre-shared keys, packet sniffing and what is the actual workflow of the procedure of Wi-Fi hacking. However, I have also shared a detailed blog with practical video if you still not satisfied with this blog.