7 Creative Ways to Use Social Media
to Land Your Dream Job
According to a clutch survey, nearly 15% of job seekers today use social media to find their next job. Social media is surfacing as a source of finding new jobs, with 14% of current hires attributing it as the source of their current role. Social media ranges from career-focused sites such as LinkedIn to innovative platforms such as Instagram. There are numerous recruitment methods that are used by recruiters now; one of them is Social Media. Using social media as a recruitment method can entail advertising jobs either through HR vendors or through crowdsourcing, where job seekers share potential job openings within their personal, online social networks.
Every organization should develop its own unique social media recruitment techniques. We’ve curated a list of tips for using social media to get you the position of your dreams, which could be useful at any stage in your career. These are the best and most effective ways of leveraging using social media to have a flourishing career:
1. Make a plan: Just like strategizing and writing a business plan, consider drafting your plan, approach, and goals for finding a new job. Writing down your goals and evaluating them timely can be an excellent way to maintain your focus and target, so your search is conducted most effectively.
2. Use professional pictures: Evaluate the photos on your Facebook profile or other social media accounts. It is recommended that you remove any that do not show you in good light or are embarrassing. Also, consider upgrading all profile photos to ones that project a professional image. Consider taking a photograph in professional attire in a clean environment to use as your social media profile photo.
3. Networking on social media is key: Connect and network with industry experts on social media and search groups where you can get membership access. These connections will show potential employers that you’re serious about your career, which could help you be considered the right candidate for an open position. Identify organizations in your industry that have a noticeable presence on social media. Do this even you have local, smaller businesses as your target. Leveraging social media for professional networking is a great way to stay connected to people who can guide you, boost your network profile, and create meaningful connections in a virtual environment.
4. Participate in debates and discussions on social media: Actively participate in the social media realm. Not every post or information you put on your social media has to be career-focused, but while you’re searching and exploring jobs, you should remain active and keep your posts neutral. Search and follow people who work in your industry so you can join in conversations and make yourself present. This amplifies your chances of finding a new job through referrals and recommendations.
5. Search yourself on Google or Bing: According to a recent survey, 70% of employers use social media to screen applicants, while 43% use social media to check current employees. Thus always google yourself to see what comes up. Enter your name with various spellings and nicknames; if you find anything erroneous, attempt to fix the issue before a potential hiring resource spots it.
6. Pay attention to important hashtags and follow them: Many employers use LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and even Instagram to post jobs. They will often include numerous hashtags related to the designation or the job search in these posts. Search on social media sites for particular hashtags related to job listings. A few commonly used hashtags are: #Hiring #Nowhiring #Jobsearch #Resume #Jobopenings
7. Develop a landing page for your profile: Many people use social media to make it known they love their careers. You can find passionate people and learn what fantastic work they’ve done and the creative ideas they have. You can consider creating a website or landing page to integrate all social media accounts so you can address potential employers or recruiters to a one-stop page. Besides showcasing your existing work, you can also post achievements, recommendations, and accolades you’ve received.
Online job boards have proven essential for recruiting, essentially replacing regular newspaper job postings. Head hunters can find key candidates by engaging with them through shared passions, ideals, or networks, something one can’t do with the other recruitment methods. Connecting with your dream company through social media lets you show all those personal qualities employers want. It reflects self-motivation, confidence, and willingness to embrace new technology. Using social media to find a job is a savvy move, one that could help land your next opportunity and get your career to the next level.
About the author:
Kelly Barcelos is a progressive digital marketing manager specializing in HR and is responsible for leading Jobsoid’s content and social media team. When Kelly is not building campaigns, she is busy creating content and preparing PR topics. She started with Jobsoid as a social media strategist and eventually took over the entire digital marketing team with her innovative approach and technical expertise.
Did you find this article helpful? Share your thoughts with friends...