Benefits and Drawbacks of Different Network Types
Today, we have tons of amazing technologies and advancements in every field. We have surrounded ourselves with smart devices that help us move, work, and play. All this and much more are enabled through the power of the internet.
The internet evolution has brought many benefits, and much more is yet to come. As we progress further, we improve the current technologies and introduce new ones, such as fiber optics, 5G, and satellite internet.
However, today, we have multiple options for high-speed internet, which can confuse anyone. Moreover, the number of internet service providers has also grown, and the old ones have made many improvements to grow even bigger, such as AT&T's internet connection. Still, each of them provides a fast and reliable connection. Also, the types of internet services have made the decision that much harder.
So, to clear the confusion, we have put together this article with a detailed description of different network types and their advantages and drawbacks. Let's get started.
The people before the 21st century must have used the dial-up connection. It utilizes the public switched telephone network, makes weird noises, and connects you to the internet. Unfortunately, it is a very old technology and almost extinct, as people only use it when there is no other option.
Compared to modern-day technologies, dial-ups have no visible benefits besides providing an internet connection. On the flip side, the drawbacks are many, such as slow or choppy connection, no phone connection on the internet, and bad internet speed. Moreover, other than browsing Wikipedia or blogging sites, you can’t stream movies, download stuff, or play an online game. Therefore, it is the least recommended option, as modern-day mobile data is much faster than dial-up.
Digital Subscriber line internet is a traditional network type that connects you to the internet via existing phone lines. It provides good speeds and a somewhat reliable connection. The connection involves your internet modem linked with a wall jack and the phone line providing the internet connection. The advantages and drawbacks of digital subscriber line are as follows:
- The first main benefit of DSL is that it is available everywhere.
- You don’t have to empty your wallet, as DSL is affordable.
- DSL is perfect for a household with normal use that includes browsing and watching videos.
- Multiple ISPs offer DSL, so you have plenty of options to decide from according to your needs and demands.
- Although DSL provides a reliable internet connection, it is pretty slow.
A cable internet connection is convenient, easy, fast, and the most-picked choice for today’s users. Moreover, you can get a bundled option from your service provider, including TV and mobile data. Cable internet utilizes coaxial cable technology, providing a reliable connection with less hassle and more to be happy about. Some of the advantages and drawbacks of cable connection are as follows:
- First and foremost, cable internet is fast and reliable in every way, and you can surf, stream, download, share, and play comfortably and at high speeds.
- Most online gamers use cable connections.
- Cable connection has fewer breakdowns and power outages.
- Its availability is limited as many areas don’t offer good broadband networks.
- It requires a flexible budget as there are many different options for appropriate needs.
- A cable connection is shared between all the users of the same ISP, which can result in low bandwidth and speed.
Satellite internet is recently gaining huge hype because ISPs are focusing more on making it affordable and available. However, for now, it is slowly but steadily gaining pace and will be a dedicated option for many across the globe. All you need for satellite internet is to do a bit of research to find the best satellite internet options in your area. Then you will need a dish, modem, and a few wires to connect it all, and you’re good to go. The different advantages and drawbacks of satellite internet are as follows:
- It is highly available and presents almost everywhere across the U.S.
- Satellite internet is great for rural areas with limited connectivity and cable, or fiber cannot reach.
- Although satellite connection is reliable and consistent, the speeds are much slower.
- It is susceptible to bad weather, hail storms, heavy rains, and other conditions that may break connections.
- It is very expensive right now, but different ISPs are working on it to make it more affordable.
Fiber optics connection is the latest and most advanced internet technology available right now. Unlike other network types, fiber internet uses glass fibers and digital signals to transmit data providing you with a high-speed internet connection. Some of the advantages and drawbacks of fiber optics internet are as follows:
- The first and biggest advantage is that fiber provides blazing-fast speeds even with excessive use.
- The bandwidth from the fiber connection is enough to do anything and everything easily, including watching ultra-high definition videos, streaming online, playing games, and downloading and sharing big files easily.
- The major disadvantage of fiber internet is its low availability.
- The deployment cost and monthly fees of fiber connection are high.
Mobile networks are exclusive internet technology for mobile and smartphone devices. 4G LTE is available everywhere, whereas 5G is gaining momentum and will soon be available globally. The following are the advantages and drawbacks of mobile networks:
- Mobile networks are available almost everywhere.
- You can use it normally for different things if you have a decent package.
- The latest iteration, 5G, is about a hundred times faster than 4G and sets new benchmarks for networking technology.
- The ultra-fast 5G is not available everywhere
- High cost to set up 5G infrastructure
- 4G is reliable and available but is relatively slow
These are the different network types available at the moment. You can choose a reliable ISP for your network connection requirements, and one such is Spectrum internet. Spectrum offers various plans, which you can view here: https://www.buytvinternetphone.com/spectrum
Choose what best fits your needs, but research which connection is best for different requirements. Our recommended option is fiber if it's available. The cable is good if you want a bundled option. And Satellite is good for rural areas or when no other option is available.