What Does a Locksmith Do? Things You Might Not Realize They Can Do for You
Most people ask, what does a locksmith do? Locksmiths can do anything related to the art of securing your property. Some specialize in auto security and can help you with your vehicle if you lock your keys inside of it. Professional locksmith services include making keys for you, changing the locks on your doors, installing new locks, and creating new security features for you.
What does a locksmith do?
A locksmith can do much more than open a door when you lock yourself out. You can call a locksmith to make new keys, repair broken or malfunctioning locks, install new locks or install more sophisticated security devices. They can even help you break into a car or a building when you have lost your key or the lock has malfunctioned somehow.
Install Locks and Security Devices
There are many types of locks, and not all of them are meant for residential dwellings. Locks and security devices are used to protect homes and businesses from theft. The best way to decide which type of lock to install is to think about what you want to achieve with the lock, and which types of locks will help you achieve that goal. A locksmith can help determine what type of lock is needed for your specific needs.
The locks include:
- Deadbolts: They are the most common type of indoor lock and are usually installed in front and back doors.
- Cylinder Locks: Cylinder locks are found on wooden doors with a rotating tumbler.
- Padlocks: These are used to secure tools like toolboxes, gates, and containers. There are many types of locks, and not all of them are meant for residential dwellings.
- Electronic Locks: This is used on exterior doors. Electronic locks can be keyless.
- Electric Strike: It is installed on a door frame or as a stand-alone device.
- Automatic Lock: An automatic lock allows a door to be opened remotely.
- Magnetic Lock: A magnetic lock secures a door.
- Biometric Lock: A biometric lock identifies a person by scanning their fingerprints.
- Smart Lock: A smart lock can be controlled with a computer or smartphone.
Repair Broken or Malfunctioning Locks
Broken or malfunctioning locks are often repaired, but you should replace them if they are old and beyond repair. One should replace broken or malfunctioning locks as soon as possible to avoid future problems and home security issues. Getting the same type as the original lock is important when replacing a lock. If you return a lock with a different kind of lock, you may also need to replace all the keys for the new lock. This is because the old keys may not work with the new ones.
Bypass and Rekey Locks
When a lock is broken, it can be bypassed and rekeyed. Bypassing the lock is when a person takes apart the lock and removes the bolt. Rekeying is when a new key is created and inserted into the lock. Bypassing is often done when a tenant moves out and the lock needs to be changed. Rekeying is often done when a lock has been broken and needs to be repaired. Lock bypassing and rekeying is often done by locksmiths. It is best to have a locksmith bypass or rekey a lock rather than do it yourself if you do not know how because it can be dangerous.
Make Keys for Lost or Stolen Keys
Locksmiths can make copies of keys or make new keys for homes, cars, or businesses. The best practices include:
- Getting permission.
- Ensuring the customer knows a duplicate key is being made.
- Charging a reasonable fee.
For example, when making a key for a lost or stolen key, it is important to verify the identity of the person who owns the property with the lock that needs to be opened. The person can then leave the license with the locksmith.
So what does a locksmith do? You can hire a locksmith to install new locks, change your lock, rekey your lock, repair your lock, install an electronic lock, or change the hardware on your door. Locksmiths are trained professionals and can help you improve the security of your home or business.