How to Clean a Washing Machine at Home?
Today, a washing machine is no longer a luxury. This is a real must for any family, because it can save a lot of time and effort.
With active operation, sooner or later, any owner of a washing machine is faced with such a problem as scale, and then the question of how to remove scale in a washing machine becomes relevant. If other breakdowns can be seen by error code and troubleshooting, then the scale is invisible until the washer is disassembled.
What is scale and how does it appear?
The water that flows in our pipelines contains salt crystals, as well as a large number of various impurities. When water is heated or evaporated, they are deposited on the surface of the heating elements. Most likely, you have seen scale deposits in the kettle. It can also be found on the heating element of the washing machine.
Usually, the need for a descaler is indicated by the fact that the heating element for the washing machine stops heating the water, even if you turn on the maximum temperature mode.
Scale has a very low thermal conductivity, so even if its layer is very small, this can become an obstacle to heating water. Salt deposits settling on the electric heater reduce the life of the equipment, as they harm its heater. The amount of scale depends on the temperature setting that you set when washing.
This does not mean that you need to stop using the device at all, you just need to know how to clean the washing machine. Recall that the washing machine may issue an error code, if it cannot drain the water, then the cause may be the accumulation of scale.
Cleaning the washing machine with citric acid
It is worth considering that the acid can be household or specialized. If you use the second one, pay attention to the concentration, because the excess one will not only destroy scale, but also corrode the details of your equipment, and there will be no effect from a slight one. Also, don't confuse juice with acid.
Cleaning is as follows - the drum of the washing machine must be clean and empty, remove all things from it. Close the appliance door tightly and pour three tablespoons of citric acid into the detergent container. It is necessary to set such a washing mode so that it occurs at a temperature of about 90 degrees. By turning on the extra rinse, you will make washing even more efficient. This mode will allow you to finally remove the remaining scale. After completing the wash, check the condition of the drain hose, you may also need to know how to clean the elastic in the washing machine. Scale particles may remain in it. You can remove them with rubber gloves and a sponge. Such a procedure can be carried out once every six months, not more often.
Cleaning the washing machine with vinegar
To effectively and mercilessly destroy scale in the washing machine, vinegar is perfect. This is a reliable and inexpensive tool.
Pour two cups of 9% vinegar into the liquid powder container and set the wash cycle to the longest possible at a high temperature. The drum must first be cleaned of things. When the machine starts the water and it mixes with the vinegar, pause the wash for an hour. During this time, the solution will have a good effect on all the details, the process of scale destruction should start. After an hour, start the wash again and now wait for it to finish. Then you need to start the shortest wash, during which the internal components will be washed off vinegar and scale residues. Also, this tool allows you to get rid of pathogenic microorganisms and unpleasant odors.
When all the washing and rinsing steps are completed, soak a cloth in a solution of warm water and vinegar and wipe the drum with it. If you do not know how to wash the gum in the washing machine, this is just the way you need. Moisture can accumulate in the folds, contributing to the formation of an unpleasant odor, and scale can also remain there. After treating all surfaces, wipe them dry.
How to clean the washing machine from dirt inside?
Few people look into the container for washing powder and liquids. But if you look into the tank, you will find dirt, mold and even fungus. With each wash, all this comes into contact with the drum of the machine, and therefore with your clothes. How to clean the washing machine from fungus and other dirt?
- The container can be easily removed from the compartment. An old toothbrush is perfect for brushing. Lather it with laundry soap and clean the powder receptacle from accumulated deposits of mold and dirt;
- You may find deposits in the conditioner tank. With the help of a tool designed to remove dirt from plumbing, you can easily remove this plaque. Take an inexpensive product containing chlorine, pour 25 ml into the compartment and leave for a couple of hours. The mold will dissolve along with the plaque.
- The powder container is very easy to clean, so there is no reason to neglect it. After every 3-5 washes, rinse the container, which will help you prevent mold and other contaminants.
- Lime deposits and dirt often accumulate in the drum. Check if your washing machine has a function that allows you to press a button and perform automatic cleaning. If it is missing, you can use the following tips:
- Pour 100 ml of bleach directly into the drum and run the empty washing machine at a temperature of 60 degrees. The drum will be cleaned, unpleasant odors will disappear;
- pour a couple of sachets of citric acid into an empty drum, then start the wash by setting the maximum temperature. It is advisable to set the extra rinse mode;
- wash the machine with a solution of soda ash. Rub the drum and rubber gasket with this mixture, do not forget to wear gloves. After half an hour, remove the remnants with a sponge and run a quick wash;
- Leave the machine door ajar after every wash. This will help prevent bad odors.
Regular maintenance of your washing machine will extend the life of your washing machine. Proper use and cleaning can also delay washing machine repairs by one to two years.