A Dog's Best Friend: 10 Incredible Benefits
of Pet Relief with CBD Oil
CBD oil has taken the world by storm. It's projected to be a billion-dollar industry and for a good reason. People everywhere are experiencing the benefits that CBD oil has to offer without many of the unpleasant side effects of prescription medications.
But CBD oil isn't just for humans. Pets can also benefit from the powerful effects that pet relief CBD oil brings. In this article, we'll highlight some ways that you can find pet relief with CBD for pets.
What is CBD Oil?
CBD is short for cannabidiol, a cannabinoid found in the hemp plant. It's a cousin to marijuana, because it's in the cannabis family, though it does not contain Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). THC is another cannabinoid that's responsible for producing the psychosomatic effect, better known as "getting high."
CBD oil is considered safe, and it has little if no side effects. The research is still ongoing, but promising for both humans and pets.
Is CBD Oil Legal?
Because CBD oil is derived from the hemp plant, it is legal, though there are some stipulations. CBD oil must contain less than 0.3% of THC to be considered legal. Federally speaking CBD is illegal, but the laws across each state will vary, making CBD legal in some states but not other.
The gray areas of the legalities are due in part to CBD oil being a part of the cannabis family and the amount of THC that's still present.
Types of CBD Oil
There are several types of CBD oil found on the market, but two are the most popular:
- CBD isolate is pure CBD oil with no added ingredients.
- Full-spectrum CBD oil contains other ingredients that boost the effects of CBD oil. These ingredients typically are other cannabinoids found in the hemp plant.
You can buy CBD in a variety of different forms:
- Tinctures are bottles of CBD with a dropper, and you take CBD by placing the oil under your tongue. This dropper allows you to give a precise dosage and is the most preferred method of CBD oil.
- Capsules are a convenient choice for those who don't like a tincture, be sure to pay careful attention to the dosage. Capsules can sometimes take longer to work due to the digestion process.
- Vaping is also a popular option, though it's only for humans. CBD oil is vaped using a vaporizer or e-cigarette. Vaping is the fastest way to feel the effects of CBD because it goes through the lungs directly into the bloodstream bypassing digestion.
- Topical creams or lotions infused with CBD oil provide localized relief for those with skin issues or even pain. They can usually be applied to any area of the body.
- Edibles are gummies with CBD oil. They're convenient, portable, and sometimes flavored.
How Does CBD Oil Help Humans?
CBD oil offers a variety of benefits for those suffering from many ailments:
- Depression and anxiety
- Chronic pain from inflammation
- Helping to clear acne
- Promote better sleep
- Benefit children with epilepsy
- healthier heart
The cannabinoids in CBD oil react with the endocannabinoid system in your body to bind with receptors in the brain that deal with a variety of emotions, moods, and pain management.
Pet Relief CBD Oil: 10 Benefits for Your Pet
Humans are not the only species with an endocannabinoid system. While THC is toxic to dogs, CBD oil is not when given the proper dose. In many cases, CBD oil is a wonderful treatment for dogs.
Here are ten ways in which CBD oil is beneficial for dogs:
- Relief from Joint Pain
CBD oil combats inflammation so it can reduce the pain your dog experiences from aching bones due to arthritis. This is because CBD oil blocks the pain receptors in the brain, so CBD oil is considered an anti-inflammatory. For more information, check out this CBD study at Pacificsandiego.com.
- Glossy Coat
The health of your pet's coat can be an indication of how healthy they are on the inside. When your dog's skin or fur is itchy and red, applying CBD directly to the coat can calm the skin and relieve the itching that can arise from different factors, including skin allergies.
- Management of Seizures
Humans are not the only ones who get seizures; dogs experience them, too. And the medication prescribed often have many unpleasant side effects. CBD can stop the seizures and manage epilepsy when given in large doses.
- Calms Anxious Dogs
Dogs can become loud and destructive when they're anxious. The endocannabinoid system is mainly responsible for mood management. The CBD oil works with receptors within the endocannabinoid system to help regulate the mood and create a more calming effect on the body.
- Slow Cancer Growth
The diagnosis of cancer is devastating for both human and pet. However, CBD oil can inhibit the growth of cancer cells and improve the immune system. For dogs already fighting cancer and receiving treatment, CBD can relieve some of the symptoms that follow cancer treatments.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is a syndrome in which the intestines are irritated. While there is no cure for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) because of the anti-inflammatory properties of CBD oil, it can be used to reduce the pain and swelling that accompanies IBD.
Glaucoma is a condition that causes your eyesight to weaken. When dogs get glaucoma, it can be painful. CBD cannot cure glaucoma, but it can manage the pain and pressure that come from it.
Click here to learn the benefits of CBD oil to help your dog suffering from osteoarthritis.
- Supports a Healthy Heart
CBD oil offers protection of your dog's heart. CBD oil can reduce damage, heart rate, and blood pressure.
- Boost Desire to Eat
Nausea plagues pets now and then, whether it's due to medication, bad food, or being sick. CBD oil for dogs with nausea can increase a dog's appetite and help a healthy appetite reappear.
- Overall Wellness
Even if your dog is showing no real signs of sickness, giving them CBD oil regularly can keep their endocannabinoid system well-maintained and act as a preventative to combat issues they could experience in their senior years.
How to Administer CBD Oil to Dogs
The dosage for each dog will vary according to size, weight, and need. Starting with a small dose and gradually increasing the dosage is recommended.
There are CBD oils that are available specifically for dogs and should come with dosage guidelines. Smaller dogs typically get less while larger dogs get more.
If your dog is jumpy when it comes to taking medications, CBD infused treats are also an option and come in different flavors. Be sure to read the instructions on how many to give and when. If you're concerned about the proper dosage amount, consult your veterinarian for suggestions.
What to Look for in CBD Oil
The CBD industry is growing massively, and people have noticed. While there are plenty of reputable distributors, some started capitalizing on the industry by producing fake CBD oil. Falsely marketed CBD oil leads to extreme health problems and even fatalities, so you must research carefully and thoroughly to ensure you're getting a pure product.
When buying CBD oil, be sure these factors are present:
- Full transparency from the company, including where it was grown and processed. If the company cannot provide a phone number or physical address, that's a red flag.
- A list of ingredients. There should be no more than 0.3% of THC in CBD oil.
- A report of a third-party analysis to ensure the product is pure and unaltered.
- High price equals high-quality. Any distributor promising all of the above for a too-good-to-be-true price is probably selling you a fake.
- Buy organic if you can to avoid pesticides and other contaminants.
Even though there are treats available for dogs with CBD oil, the best way to give CBD is through a liquid, such as a tincture. This way, you know the exact dose you're giving, and it works quickly instead of going through the digestion process.
It's Safe, But What About Side Effects?
Even though CBD is generally considered safe, there could be side effects in your dog.
Side effects may include:
- Fatigue or extreme lethargy
- Excess thirst and drinking of water
- Lowered blood pressure
The side effects are small, but always be aware and watch out for them anyway.
CBD Oil and Dogs: Get Your Dog Some Today
Pet relief with CBD oil is relatively easy to use to avoid the side effects of certain medications. Pet relief CBD oil is natural, safe, and an excellent option for your dog.
For more ideas, this guide showcases the best pet tech devices currently on the market: 2020 Pet Tech Guide
Are you looking for other ways to transform your life? Check out our website to learn more about the positive changes you can make to your life today!