Busting the Common Myths Related
to Non-Alcoholic Beer!
If you are trying to quit alcohol, you might have been suggested various alternatives, with non-alcoholic drinks topping the list. Besides long-term commitments, beers with zero alcohol are also a great option when you have to drive late or curb alcohol cravings during pregnancy.
Non-alcoholic drinks reduce the dependency on alcohol while providing the same taste and several health benefits, unlike real alcohol. But is consuming beer with zero alcohol healthy?
Excess consumption of Non-alcoholic drinks, with 0.5 percent of alcohol can also induce the need to consume alcohol:
- Even a little percentage of alcohol can boost dopamine production in the body, which activates the pleasure sensations of the brain.
- Dopamine activates the pleasure experience and brings back the need to consume alcohol.
- The quitter tends to become addicted to the low alcohol beverage, making them move towards stronger alcohol.
Alternative: Choose a beer with zero alcohol and offers other health benefits with reasonable ingredients.
Excessive Non-alcoholic beers that contain some amount of gluten and alcohol are not as healthy as they claim:
- When you check the ingredients of both alcoholic and ‘non’ alcoholic beer, you will find that most of them are the same. In fact, the various additives and stabilizers can easily manipulate the technology.
- Even though non-alcoholic beers contain much less alcohol, studies show that even non-alcoholic beer can be harmful if not consumed in moderation.
- Another ingredient found in non-alcoholic and alcoholic beer alike is barley or wheat, which has gluten. Gluten can be harmful to gluten intolerant people.
Alternative: Choose non-alcoholic drinks which are also gluten-free. It is a great escape from lime and soda but with a more strong and persistent flavour. Anything in moderation is good unless you know what moderation is.
Excess of Non-Alcoholic Beers with a percentage of alcohol Do Not Boost Heart Health:
- Consumption of non-alcoholic beer does not improve heart health, despite the belief that it decreases the risk of ischemic disease.
- Any benefit is visible when things are consumed moderately limited. Overconsumption can be fatal and might lead to varicose veins and enlargement of the heart.
- Consuming alcohol can lead to depression and also provoke the growth of fatty tissue.
Alternative: If you can’t moderate your consumption, you must totally skip it. Non-alcoholic beer should be taken with a company so that you can keep yourself in check.
Moderate amount of Non-Alcoholic Beer Can Keep Cancer In Check:
In research conducted in Japan on two mice, one was fed with plain water while the other was given non-alcoholic beer. The one consuming the latter survived longer than the mice sustained on water.
Alternative: Cancer has no specific reasons until today, but sweetened and sugary drinks are harmful to the body as they suddenly spike the glucose in the blood. Choose the alternative non-alcoholic beer which is healthy and contains a negligible amount of fermentation.
In The End:
Anything consumed within the limit can prove beneficial, but excess intake has never done any good. Therefore, all the health benefits you see on the net of consuming non-alcoholic beer are tried in moderation. Though you cannot get drunk, you can trigger your cravings and create a relapse situation!
If you want to enjoy the taste and avail all the benefits of the non alcoholic beverage, make sure it has 0 percent alcohol, and is made from corn, rice, quinoa which has no gluten.