Incredible Ways to Improve Insulin Resistance
with a Healthy Diet
By Mila Jones
You may have heard about insulin resistance. This article will tell you the best ways to improve your insulin resistance with a healthy diet and lifestyle.
What exactly is insulin resistance and what causes it?
You might have seen old people who have high blood sugar take injections of clear fluid on a daily basis. This injection is essentially insulin. Insulin is a hormone that Is produced by the beta cells of the pancreas in the human body. As the name suggests, insulin resistance is when the cells of the human body become resistant to the effects of insulin. Insulin is the main hormone that regulates the uptake of glucose by the cells of the body and also helps to maintain the proper levels of sugar in the blood. When the cells of the body become resistant to insulin, the pancreas has to produce more insulin so that it can compensate for the resistance and the insulin has the normal effect that it should have on the person.
Insulin resistance can lead to many problems in the human body, mainly being the problem of developing type 2 diabetes. Changes in the diet of the person can help reduce the levels of insulin resistance in the body. People with insulin resistance are usually diagnosed at the prediabetic stage. It is a good idea for you to switch to a healthier diet if you are diagnosed with insulin resistance so that you do not have problems later on in life.
Foods that will help your body fight insulin resistance
It has been said many times that we are what we eat. If you want to be a healthy person and lead a healthy lifestyle, you should start eating healthy food as well. A healthy diet is a key component for everyone. But for patients who have been diagnosed with insulin resistance, a healthy diet plan with the right foods becomes more important than ever. Foods can be categorized into two categories for people with insulin resistance, foods that they should consume and foods that they should avoid consuming. We shall look at these in detail.
Foods that you should consume
Here are some of the foods that you should ideally consume daily to solve the problem of insulin resistance naturally:
- Vegetables – Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods on the planet. They have low calories and are also rich in fibre. This makes them the right food for the people who are trying to get their blood sugar levels into control. You can pretty much take any vegetables, but in particular, you should choose vegetables that are leafy and are dark green. Some good options are celery, spinach, kale, tomatoes, broccoli, brussel sprouts, lettuce and many more freshly harvested veggies.
- Fruits – To be exact, fresh fruits. You should prefer having fresh fruits more often than canned fruits. The canned versions of fruits have syrups that are added in them to increase their flavour. Because of this, there is added sugar content that you should avoid. So, go for fresh fruit. If you would like you can make a healthy fruit shake as well. Have fruits that are high in fibre like peaches, plums, grapes, apples and so on.
- Lean protein – As part of your healthy diet to control your insulin resistance, you can also consume lean protein. Many studies have shown that taking enough protein daily has improved the lives of people suffering from acute insulin resistance.
Foods that you should best avoid
- High starch content – Avoid vegetables that have high starch content in them like potatoes, peas, and corn. These will increase the levels of glucose in your blood and again lead to insulin resistance.
- Overconsumption of fats – Though people think that excess sugar is the main reason for the increase in the levels of insulin resistance, there is another major cause that people forget, and that is the consumption of fats. Fats can also have effects on the insulin resistance of the cells in your body. You should avoid fatty foods and foods that are deep fried. Some of the foods that you should avoid are French fries, smileys, deep fried chicken and so on.
- Packaged drinks – You should avoid the packaged beverages at all costs. These beverages have a lot of sugar content in them that people often forget about. Soft drinks and packaged drinks can be made sweet only with the addition of some sweeteners. Hence, this excess sugar will also affect your body, and hence it is important that you avoid packaged drinks of any kind except water.
Insulin resistance and lifestyle disease in women
Insulin resistance is particularly hard on women more than men. This is because Insulin resistance has many adverse effects on the health of women right from puberty to pregnancy and then to menopause.
Women are constantly at a higher risk of having lifestyle diseases like hyperglycemic disorders, hypertension, breast cancer as well as polycystic ovarian syndrome. This is why it is important that women, in particular, follow a good nutritional guide. Because women sometimes have a life that is more demanding than usual, they face problems like weaker bones, osteoporosis, gall bladder disease, diabetes, hypertension, urinary tract infection and so on.
Other tips that will help you keep your insulin resistance in check
You can also perform some small yet significant changes to your lifestyle that will help you lower your insulin resistance levels naturally. You can become more active and start losing weight. This will help burn up the excess glucose that is in your blood and hence decrease the load that is put on the pancreas. You can also avoid eating food late in the night. This will give your body enough time to digest the food and also to absorb the required vitamins and minerals easily.
There are many ways in which you can reduce the insulin resistance levels in your body. But the best of all of them is to follow a proper and healthy diet. With this article, we have explained some of the foods that you should and should not take. This diet is also a natural way of improving the insulin levels in your body, and hence there are no side effects also. This healthy diet will solve most of your problems. Not only related to insulin resistance, but it will also help you to become more fit and lead a happy and healthy life for many more years to come.
Mila Jones is a Senior Business Consultant, with rich experience in the domains of technology consulting and strategy, she works with both established technology brands and market entrants to offer research inputs and insights on leveraging technology as a source of strategic competitive advantage. She is a prolific author and shares her expertise with tech enthusiasts on popular digital publishing platforms. She loves not only to write about several topics but also loves to explore new ideas about Lifestyle, Travel blogs and many more. Follow Mila on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook.