Know About the Different Types of
Home Care Services
There are different types of home care services provided by professional home care service providers. They will determine the need of the patient along with the present physical as well as mental condition to design the best care plan. There are several different types of home care services provided by reputed and reliable home care service providers.
If you are not sure about the service that you may receive from these home care service providing agencies, ten this article will throw some light into your dark mind!
First, you will have to understand that all elderly people and patients who receive such care in their home may not be chronically or terminally ill or severely injured or disabled.
- In fact, there are several people who may need to hire such services simply to help them in the day to day tasks.
- Even children suffering from congenital issues and other diseases and at-risk teenage mothers may need such home care services.
- Other people who may need such services include those who have suffered any head trauma and recovering from it.
- Even the end-of-life patients who need hospice and palliative care of all ages can also hire aides for such home care services.
This means that all these home care services are specially designed and customized to meet the varied needs of varied patients, disabled and elderly citizens as well as their family members.
Understanding the needs
In order to understand the different types of home care in a home setting, the first step is to know the needs of such care in depth. This is the first step if you want to establish what type of home care service will be most effective and useful for your loved one. Therefore, before you jump on to visiting different sites of home care service providers like myallamericancare.com and others, know the needs first. This will help you to know about the services, compare their types, quality and price and then make the right choice.
Patients who may be suggested by a doctor to take home care include:
- Any older adult who is new to diabetes and needs insulin treatment
- Any child having learning problems or tracheostomy
- Any patient who is discharged from the hospital with a urinary catheter that needs to attached for a long term
- Any patient having wounds that needs to be dressed regularly for further assessment and management and
- Any patient who needs proper education, training and skilled care after being discharged from the hospital after a surgery.
That means home care services includes all complex and chronic illnesses, ongoing pain and medication management, assessment for changes in the care plan for the patient and lots more.
Role of the nurse
Next, you will need to understand the role of the nurse in home care. Primarily, the role of the nurse is to help the patient perform all functions safely at home or in a patient specialty area. They help the patient with:
- Setting reminders for it
- Arranging for doctor’s appointment
- Clean up
- Bathing and dressing hair
- Eating the food in case of disability and other daily activities and lots more.
It is considered that the home is perhaps the best setting to receive such care and attention to expedite the recovery process. There are several reasons for this. A home setting will:
- Put the patient away from any chances or risk for any infections acquired from the hospital setting
- Make the patient safer as the nurse will have only one patient to attend and care for eliminating the chances of any wrong-patient errors and
- The patients are happier as they can stay with their family member and there are no time or age restrictions on visitors.
In addition to that the patient can make their food or cultural choices as per their wish and wear clothes they want to. All this adds to the happiness quotient of the patient that promotes the rate of recovery as well. In short, a home care allows the patient to maintain their individuality, dignity and independence.
The types of home care
Now that you know about home care and its needs, you should focus on the different types of home care services...
- Physician care: This type of care is provided to those patients who need a higher level of personal attention and medical care. The doctor visits in home as well. The physician will diagnose the condition, the improvement and even suggest for further treatments for the illness or injury. This is the best way to provide specialized care to your loved ones.
- Nursing care: This is the most common form of home health care. This is provided by registered nurses and assistants. The caregiver or nurse will work under the direction of the doctor in case it is a specific case. This ensures fluidity and stability in the treatment. The treatment plan is once again designed according to the approval of the physician. The nurse looks after the needs of the patients providing the best services within the comfort of the home. The nurses handle different needs such as wound dressing, medication administration, ostomy care, pain management, IV therapy, and all other types of health support.
- Occupational and physical therapy: The nurse will also provide such services to patients who need additional help to relearn specific motor skills. These are specialized therapies that improve the range of motion, their quality of life and ability to perform a few day to day tasks.
- Social and companionship services: In some cases, the nurses will look for the welfare of a patient. These are professional nurses that are also called the social services case workers. They provide counseling, help to get certain benefits, and provide extensive care and coordination. They will also provide companionship services for ensuring comfort and supervision to people who are alone in home for a long period of time. They may even perform light housekeeping duties and cook basic meals.
They may also provide other services such as dietary support, transportation and others.
Did you find this article helpful? Share your thoughts with friends...
Want to submit an article? Click here...