Health Benefits of Drinking Lemon Water
You might wonder how beneficial can lemon water be as it is just made of two simple ingredients – water and lemon juice! People ignore lemon water but it is actually extremely healthy for your body. Here are some of the health benefits of lemon water ...
- Lemon water is beneficial for your heart. Lemons contain vitamin C which is responsible for reducing the risks of getting heart diseases. Lemons also contain hesperidin and diosmin which are also very beneficial for your heart.
- Vitamin C plays a significant role in digestion as it promotes better absorption of nutrients, like iron, etc. Iron is essential for your body as its deficiency leads to Anemia.
- Lemons contain antioxidants that prevent the growth of tumor and formation of cancer cells.
- In addition to the vitamins, lemons are a rich source of dietary fiber. Dietary fibers promote digestion as well as clean your arteries. It prevents building up of cholesterol and clogging the circulatory system.
- Vitamin C ensures that you have a strong immune system. It helps your body to develop a strong resistance against several disease-causing pathogens like bacteria and viruses.
- People having vitamin C deficiency are at a greater risk of developing kidney stones. The acid present in lemons help in dissolving the kidney stones. The stones that form in the kidneys are mainly made of calcium. The ascorbic acid present in lemons can thin the stones until your body expels them.
- Lemon peels contain an aromatic compound known as d-limonene. This also gets infused in the lemon water. This compound helps in reducing heartburns, stomachache, and reflux. People have a misconception that the acid present in lemons is harmful for the stomach, but it isn’t true. Lemons are good for your digestion and also helps to deal with the stomach problems.
- Lemons are full of antioxidants. There are some free radicals that float in your bloodstream which are the major cause of causing several disorders like hypertension, brain degeneration, heart diseases, etc. So, it is very important to keep these free radicals in check. The antioxidants present in lemons help in keeping these in check by binding with these free radicals.
- Lemon has a compound called hesperidin which is an antioxidant, and it helps in strengthening your blood vessels. It helps to keep them elastic and firm. This prevents a lot of problems, including lousy circulation, inadequate blood pressure, artery-clogging, etc. Good heart health will ensure your overall health and will help you to stay fit.
- Back in the days, sailors use to have lemons to vent scurvy. Scurvy is a disease that occurs due to vitamin C deficiency. It has severe symptoms like – aching limbs, loss of appetite, irritability, exhaustion, etc. If you drink lemon water on a regular basis your body will have enough vitamin C or ascorbic acid that will ensure you never get scurvy.
- Lastly, this drink is a natural electrolyte. If you don’t drink enough water, your body gets dehydrated which can cause throat sores, headaches, etc. Dehydration also affects your digestive system and kidneys. Drinking lemon water on a regular basis is a good way of ensuring that your body stays hydrated all the time.
Did you find this article helpful? Share your thoughts with friends...