Want to Detox? Here's the Real Truth
You've probably heard a lot about the benefits of detoxing, like cleansing or restoring the body to its optimum health. However, it would be best to understand that the body normally carries out detoxification facilitated by the liver, where toxins are processed and filtered from the blood before elimination. In addition to the liver carrying out detoxification, some other body parts like the kidney, skin, lungs, and intestines carry out this process and release body excretes like sweat, urine, and stool.
This is because they can't properly filter the toxins from the blood; you resort to other detoxing your body. Hence you need to understand how to correctly detox and know when your body needs to detox. Detoxification, therefore, is the process of cleansing the body by eliminating toxins and impurities from the blood.
How Do You Know That Your Body Needs A Detox?
Understanding your body allows you to know when you need a detox to cleanse it from toxins, and you can get instructions on instant detox to help you start. Toxins are harmful substances that enter our bodies, and they can stay for long without showing adverse effects. They can be environmental, lifestyle, metabolic, or emotional toxins. Hence with a high accumulation of these toxins, you experience several signs and symptoms on and in your body. These may include:
- Skin irritations
- Slow elimination
- Puffy eyes
- Unnecessary fatigue
- Weight gain
- Mood swings
- Muscle pains
Those are some signs that your body needs a detox; however, whether you feel them or not, you need to detox at least once a year because of toxins within our environment that we unconsciously take into our bodies.
How Do You Carry Out a Detox Process?
To start the process, ensure you give your body a break from foods with refined sugar, alcohol, caffeine, saturated fats, among others that lead to feeding your body with toxins. Having this break helps eliminate toxins and allows your body to cleanse and heal. In addition, reduce using chemical-based cleaners like shampoos, cleansers, and deodorants or better substitute them with natural cleansers. You can also avoid intense stress during this period as this releases hormones into your body.
As much as these hormones give you an adrenaline rush, in large amounts, they slow the enzyme responsible for decontamination in the liver and create toxins in your body system. Therefore, focus on reducing the elements that introduce toxins into your body as it's the key to the detoxification process.
How Do You Get A Detox Program That Is Right For You?
Detoxification addresses the needs of an individual's body cells. The detox program can facilitate natural cleansing of the body by improving body circulation, replacing healthy nutrients, resting the body organs, and influencing proper elimination through the skin intestines or kidneys. There are many available programs for cleansing your body and detox recipes, too, all depending on your preference. However, many programs follow several days’ schedules because the body takes some time to cleanse the blood, developing a plan in whichever program you choose.
In addition, you can prepare a proper detox diet to allow the body to rest as the detoxification process is on. Some of the detox diets you can use include; sugar detox, smoothie cleanse, hypoallergenic detox vegetable, and fruit detox, among many others. However, there can be a pitfall to the program or detox you use; for example, if your focus is on long-term weight loss, cleansers may not be effective for you. Equally, if you indulge in sports or you train, then you can't detox for long.
It happens because the body needs carbohydrates as an energy source during exercise, and if you detox for long, you're bound to lose much energy, which makes you weak. Therefore, check your program and detox diet and adopt one that suitably meets your needs while allowing your body to function normally.
Body Detox Tips
These lifestyle tips are helpful when you're detoxing, so follow them for a practical detoxing experience.
- Avoid stress by focusing on positive thoughts. By doing this, you prevent the release of hormones that will negatively affect detoxification enzymes.
- Take plenty of herbs such as milk thistles, dandelion root, drinking green tea, burdock and beetroots as these cleanse and purify your liver.
- Consume plenty of fiber foods like brown rice and fruits and vegetables that are fresh and organically grown like radishes, seaweed, artichokes, cabbage, beets, broccoli, and chlorella, which lead to body detoxification.
- Take vitamin C as it helps the body produce glutathione, a liver compound that eliminates toxins.
- Drink a lot of water around that period.
- Breathe fresh air and take deep breaths to allow more oxygen circulation in your body.
- Allow your body to sweat to eliminate toxins through perspiration. A sauna can effectively work for you.
- Try foot baths or dry-brush your skin to eliminate toxins through your pores.
- Employ hydrotherapy by having a hot shower for five minutes and running cold water through your body for 30 seconds. You can do it thrice then have a 30 minutes nap.
- Finally, exercise a lot when you're detoxing.
Merits and Demerits of Detoxing
The detoxification process has its pros and cons, so before you venture into it, be keen on the benefits you'll get from this and the consequences, then weigh if you can still go ahead to detox or not.
Merits of Detoxing
- You greatly benefit from the continuous consumption of vitamins and minerals, either naturally blended fresh juice from fruits and vegetables or supplements from drinks.
- It helps you handle food intolerance by avoiding some foods for days and gradually introducing potential trigger foods to your body to adjust.
- Your body attains an optimum health status after detoxing.
Demerits of Detoxing
- Detox diets have a minimal number of calories, making your body have low amounts of energy to exercise, affecting your body glucose levels and metabolic rates.
- There is also a lack of proteins in the detox diets.
- The body may experience slow bowel movements and gastrointestinal distress.
Always remember that the body detoxifies itself. To make it more proficient, take many fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes. By this, the body gets the chance to carry out its detoxification process. However, consult a doctor before taking herbal supplements or natural remedies if you choose to detox as they work differently. In addition, some circumstances don't support detoxing, like when one is a nursing mother, a child, or a patient with diseases such as tuberculosis, so consult to ensure that it's safe for you to detox before you do it.
Did you find this article helpful? Share your thoughts with friends...