How Cosmetic Dentist in Brisbane
Help Fix Crowded Smile?
An imperfect smile is unique to you and adds to your charm and personality. However, misaligned or crowded teeth could lead to severe concerns not just for the appearance of the smile but also for oral health. Chewing food becomes difficult due to the protruding upper and lower teeth that could cause improper jaw alignment. Issues like teeth breakage and speech disorders arise due to misaligned teeth.
Fortunately, a cosmetic dentist Brisbane can treat crowded smile using various procedures depending on the severity of the problem. Overcrowding of the teeth is classified into three categories— mild, moderate, and severe crowding. Some common treatments could involve dental braces, Invisalign and tooth extraction cases and porcelain veneers for mild cases. This post will discuss in detail crowded smile, their causes, and the treatments available.
What is Dental Crowding?
Crowded teeth or malocclusion is a condition where there is not enough room in the jaw to grow; this could be because the jaw size is too small, or the teeth that erupt are wide to be accommodated in the jaw. Dental overcrowding could lead to concerns like lousy breath, deformed teeth, lisping, and improper bite. It could also dent a person's self-confidence. The overcrowding of teeth is classified as mild, moderate or severe.
- Mild crowding: mild dental crowding is cases where one frontal tooth in either jaw is somewhat rotated.
- Moderate crowding: moderate dental crowding refers to cases where almost two or three frontal teeth overlap.
- Severe crowding: Severe dental crowding is cases where most of the frontal teeth are overlapping.
What Causes Dental Crowding?
Dental crowding is more prominent among adults than children are as the condition keeps deteriorating with time if left untreated. Regular dental checkups at an early age could prevent severe overcrowding later. Some of the common causes of overcrowding are — childhood habits, genetics, losing baby teeth too early or too late, poor dental care, facial injury, small jaw size or large tooth size.
How Cosmetic Dentist Help Treat Crowded Smile?
Dental crowding, if left untreated, could lead to the progression of the disease. With time, the problem gets severe, and it takes longer to treat as compared to mild crowding. Dental overcrowding leads to poor oral hygiene, causing the formation of plaque and an increase in oral bacteria, which feeds on the plaque and form acids that erode the teeth enamel.
Various treatments to treat crowded smile are:
- Metal braces: Metal braces are the most common treatment involving metal wires, elastic bands, metal or ceramic brackets. Braces are placed either on the front arch or inside the arch of the teeth to apply constant pressure on the teeth and shift them to the desired position. This procedure may take at least one year and may span three years, depending on the dental condition. Metal braces are effective even in severe misalignment cases.
- Invisalign: Invisalign are clear aligners customised to fit the patient's teeth; they are suitable for mild to moderately misaligned teeth. The most significant advantage of Invisalign over metal braces is that they are invisible and are not evident to the people around you when you are undergoing the treatment. It is possible to take out the braces while eating the food to enjoy all kinds of food; it is also easier to maintain oral hygiene.
- Extraction: In case of severely crowded teeth or extra teeth, dentist may recommend a tooth extraction of teeth erupting outside the arches. Recovering from a tooth extraction takes two to three weeks. After the spare tooth is extracted, the dentist may use metal braces, Invisalign to fix misaligned teeth.
- Veneers: Veneers do not treat the misaligned teeth; they merely mask the twisted or crooked teeth and are effective in mild crowding cases. Veneers are a cosmetic procedure and are used to enhance the aesthetics of the teeth; they may be used to cover gaps of other mild tooth problems like chipped or cracked teeth. It is a costly procedure but gives fantastic results to improve dental aesthetics.
Cosmetic dentist in Brisbane can fix the problem of misaligned teeth to give you a perfect smile. Besides uplifting your smile, it will end other issues like an improper bite, dental decay, and bad breath. The treatment span in the case of metal braces and Invisalign could be anywhere between one year to three years, and the results are excellent.
Did you find this article helpful? Share your thoughts with friends...