Combination of Local and Systemic Therapy
in Colorectal Cancer Treatment
Colorectal cancer treatment in Germany stays in the focus of attention of healthcare professionals and medical scientists. Over the past twelve years, significant progress in the systemic therapy has been achieved with introducing into the clinical practice six innovative pharmacological agents. Certain advances have also been made in the sphere of surgical tumor removal with the subsequent reconstructive interventions.
Colorectal cancer treatment in Germany stays in the focus of attention of healthcare professionals and medical scientists. Over the past twelve years, significant progress in the systemic therapy has been achieved with introducing into the clinical practice six innovative pharmacological agents. Certain advances have also been made in the sphere of surgical tumor removal with the subsequent reconstructive interventions. Thereby, in Germany doctors can choose exactly those treatment options that will provide patient with the best result.
Symptoms of colorectal malignancies
Most patients with colon cancer do not experience any symptoms at the early disease stages. When clinical manifestations appear, they will likely vary significantly depending on the tumor size and its localization in the large intestine.
Typically, patients with colorectal cancer complain of:
- Belly discomfort, e.g. pain, cramps, or gas.
- Persistent change in the bowel habits, e.g. constipation or diarrhea.
- Change in the stool consistency, blood in the stool.
- Visible rectal bleeding.
- Feeling that the bowel does not empty completely.
- Weight loss for no obvious reason.
- Weakness or fatigue.
Invasive treatment options
The colorectal cancer treatment scheme is elaborated after the precise disease staging. At the early stages healthcare professionals prefer curative options that give chance to destroy the tumor and remove all malignant cells from the organism.
Invasive treatments cause a physical effect on the tumor:
- Surgery, including the laparoscopic and conventional procedures. This is the most widespread treatment option in patients with colorectal cancer. Depending on the specialization of the hospital, interventions are performed by colorectal or general surgeons.
- Radiofrequency ablation or cryoablation is indicated in case of the tumor spreading to the lungs or liver. These techniques use radiofrequency waves or low temperatures for destroying metastases. In addition, radiofrequency ablation may be performed in the noninvasive manner, through the skin.
- Radiation therapy causes cancer cells destruction due to the influence of high-energy x-rays. Modalities of the radiation therapy include stereotactic and external-beam radiotherapy, intraoperative irradiation and brachytherapy.
Pharmacological agents for the systemic therapy
The systemic therapy influences the primary tumor and its metastases along with healthy tissues. Action of the modern medications is more selective, as they are able to recognize cancer cells and spare the healthy ones. The systemic therapy is mainly used in patients with the advanced cancer.
- Chemotherapy is used before or after surgery, as well as the palliative treatment option. It is given in cycles that are 2-3 weeks long each, in the form of tablets or intravenous injections. The most efficient medications are fluorouracil, oxaliplatin, capecitabine, irinotecan, and trifluridine.
- Targeted therapy affects tumor’s specific proteins, genes, or other molecules. In colorectal cancer it includes anti-angiogenesis drugs and epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitors.
- Immunotherapy, or biologic therapy, is aimed at restoring function of patient’s immune system. Patients with colorectal cancer typically receive the checkpoint inhibitors, such as pembrolizumab, nivolumab, and ipilimumab.
Booking Health takes care about receiving proper treatment abroad
Arrangement of colorectal cancer treatment in Germany will be as comfortable as possible if you contact Booking Health. Booking Health is the unique medical tourism provider that is authorized to cooperate with leading German hospitals. The company arranges medical programs for patients from 75 countries.
Specialists from Booking Health will assist you in:
- Exploring information about leading hospitals and choosing the most appropriate one.
- Establishing communication with the desired physician.
- Exploring the preliminary medical program.
- Excluding additional price coefficients for the foreigners (saving up to 50%).
- Booking the appointment for the diagnosis making or treatment.
- Buying and forwarding of medical products and medications.
- Further distant communication with your physician after the treatment completion.
- Translation of medical reports, direct communication with doctors while staying in Germany.
- Organization of additional procedures, if necessary.
- Booking accommodation and transfer.
Should you leave the request on the Booking Health website, a coordinating medical specialist will contact you the same day.