Broken or Broken Open?
By Karen Wright
"When the Japanese mend broken objects, they aggrandize the damage by filling the cracks with gold. They believe that when something's suffered damage and has a history, it becomes more beautiful." --Barbara Bloom
What's a seven-letter word for setting a goal, trying through thick and thin to make it happen and realizing you're just not going to make it?
F-a-i-l-u-r-e? That's what most people might call it. Heck, that's even what I've been calling it until recently. The dream I had invested my money, time, and heart into achieving is no closer today than it was eight years ago when I began. Failure.
But, here at the turning point...at the moment of acceptance, I do not see this as failure. This time, I see it as h-o-n-e-s-t-y.
Author Robert Holden, director of the Happiness Project, calls this single-minded focus upon the achievement of our goals "destination addiction." Those who can only see the end target, fail to appreciate the journey. To them, the journey is merely a means to an end. It's only the "end" that's valued.
Of course, anyone who has achieved a goal knows that the euphoria is short-lived. The moment the end is reached, a new goal takes its place and celebration fades in a mad rush toward the next end.
Eight years ago I began a new life; not fully formed in thought or reality. Like most, I was focused upon what I needed to DO in the world. I wanted to be of significant service to others. I wanted to free people of their fear shackles and provoke them into realizing how truly magnificent they really were. Sure, I also wanted to be well-known and respected for my own magnificence. My ego gets the better of me sometimes and I wanted to be the one on the top of the best seller list. I wanted to be the one Oprah called to be on her show. I wanted to be the one carting cash to the bank every day.
And none of that happened. For a long time I looked at this discrepancy as a puzzle to figure out. All I needed was the right combination of focus, opportunity, hard work, and luck and it would happen. I just needed to stick with it longer. Work harder. Network more. Market more. Be more visible. Get a mentor. Create more product.
Friends would scratch their heads and wonder in confounded voices why I hadn't been discovered. "It's just a matter of time, don't give up," they'd advise. And I'd hang on longer and buoy my lagging emotions back up and put on a happy face.
I had "destination addiction." In my mind, unless I made the dream happen, nothing else mattered. I'd lost myself to the target. All this... the stuff my days were made of... none of it mattered. It was just a means to an end. Until I realized that the end was just an end - one I had envisioned as my nirvana. One my ego had chosen as its proof that I was worthy. One that no one, but me, cared much about.
How many billions of people have been born, traveled through life and died? That's how many times we've tried to figure out why we're here. After eons of best efforts, the way seems no clearer. We still reinvent the wheel with every new-born's cry.
Here at the later stages of my life, I'm throwing out the rule book. It's not worked for me so far. It feels like I've been playing poker with a deck of tarot cards. It just doesn't work. Instead, I'm not going to try to control every last element. I'm not going to work myself into a stupor. I'm not going to become addicted to the destination.
This time I'll paying as much attention to the means as to the end. I'll be present and look at the value of this day, not just tomorrow. I'll honor my inner growth, not just an external accomplishment. I'm learning to pay attention, not control. If my self-chosen end isn't my God-chosen end, then so be it.
My life is here to be used to serve. The avenue through which that happens is almost inconsequential. If I pay attention, I'll be guided on this path to the fulfillment of my every hope. I'm learning, slowly, to listen with new ears and see with new eyes. Not to force, but to allow. Words I've heard, and even espoused, for a while... I'm finally learning the meaning of them. It's a new path for me and so far, I'm enjoying it.
+ Support your personal development with these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
- Find Your Identity ~ Know deep-down really who you are.
- Believe In Yourself ~ Build trust in who you are and what you can do.
- Self Discipline ~ Finally take charge of your life.
- Develop Powerful Resilience ~ How to be more robust to knocks in life.
- Awakening Intuition ~ Learn how to pay attention to your unconscious.
- Sweet Tooth ~ Train your brain to lose your sweet tooth.
- Finish What You Start ~ Sprint all the way past the finish line.
- Do It Now ~ A hypnosis audio to trigger deep, emotionally driven activity.
- Life Priorities ~ Hypnosis can help you clarify what really matters to you.
- Stop Thinking About Someone ~ A session to help you move on from thoughts that have been constantly pestering you.
- Public Speaking Fear ~ Banish speaking anxiety and nerves with hypnosis.
- Motivate Yourself to Exercise ~ Build a powerful exercise habit that you can't break.
- Get Rid of Fear & Anxiety ~ Stop worry and apprehension wrecking your life.
- Self Esteem ~ Break the negative trance of low self esteem and give yourself a chance in life.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
The New Wave in Meditation Technology
is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life