Tips To Develop Greater Self Confidence
By Chris Green
Self-confidence is so important to maintaining good mental health. In this article, you'll discover 7 simple but effective techniques to boost your confidence levels and heighten self esteem.
- Each week, work out exactly what you want to accomplish and set goals. This will bring structure to your week and you'll have clarity and purpose about what your life is about. Include work, family, social and personal aspects and each time you achieve a goal, give yourself a little reward. The feeling of accomplishment will increase your confidence significantly.
- Give yourself a makeover. Knowing that you look good will make you feel good and this will increase confidence. So change your appearance - hairstyle, clothes you wear, colors you wear. Get more ideas from an image consultant, you'll find them in yellow pages. Perhaps your makeover could also involve a healthier lifestyle so you look even better?
- Dump the past. Whatever has happened previously has gone forever. Today you can dump the past and start afresh. You can shape whatever happens from now on and create a new, confident you. Forget the past and begin taking action to build a brighter future. And just because things have been a certain way till now, it doesn't mean they always have to be this way. You can change, you can be confident. It's up to you.
- Drop self-deprecation. If you repeatedly put yourself down it will knock confidence right out of you. Criticizing your looks, your body shape, your hair, your abilities and your personality is harmful. If you do this everyday, confidence will be non-existent. You wouldn't think this is a decent way to treat others so make it totally unacceptable for you to treat yourself this way. Be kind to yourself, respect yourself and never ever beat yourself up.
- Frequently remind yourself of all of the good things you have done. If you remind yourself of all the mistakes you've made, your confidence levels will remain grounded. Learn from your mistakes and move on. Reminding yourself of the good things you have done builds self-esteem. Why beat yourself up when you can praise yourself instead?
- Be aware of what you allow your mind to be exposed to. The media continually bombard you with image manipulation and tales of corruption, wars, crime, disasters and impending doom. This can give you a negative perspective on life. Reduce the amount of TV you watch and do something more beneficial instead. Read a book, workout, learn a new skill - whatever you want. This will replace a negative stream with a positive one, and will boost your confidence.
- Mix with confident, positive people. Negative people erode confidence like rust upon metal. Who you spend your time with influences how you are. It can be hard to drop negative people but be strong and find a better quality of company. The more time you spend with confident people the more confident you'll become. Confidence breeds confidence.
That's 7 great ways for you to boost your confidence that you can use immediately and I urge you to try them all.
Copyright © Chris Green 2007 - All Rights reserved
Former anxiety sufferer Chris Green is the author of "Conquering Stress," the internationally acclaimed guide to managing stress, anxiety and depression naturally without taking powerful antidepressants. To get started on kicking stress, anxiety and depression out of your life quickly and permanently, please visit the Conquering Stress