Achieve Awesome Goals this Year!
By David Wood
Did you ever want to be one of those people who makes resolutions or sets goals every year and actually sticks to them?
My friend Peter Hegarty has made 3 resolutions every year for the last 15 years, and completed every one!!! Imagine if you had set and achieved 45 extra goals for your life! But that's pretty 'out there'. This article isn't for those of you who easily create three resolutions every year, create a plan for achieving them, and put it into action without effort. No - it's for those of us who WANT to make some changes to our life, and are JUST ABOUT to do some goal setting, and were waiting for the push that comes from this very article. Well here it is!
And you'll be glad to hear I'm not going to bust your chops about goals. I'm clear that many of us don't set goals because we don't want to set ourselves up for 'failure'. It's a bit confronting. Well - welcome to the 'easy flow' method of goal setting...
I'm going to simply invite you to create three goals that will make a difference to your life, and then to put them up on your wall. If you don't complete them - what have you lost? You're no worse off. And if just picking some goals and putting them on your wall is enough to tip you over the edge and cause some results, then you've discovered a very easy way to make changes!
So let's get started.
- Firstly pick an area of your life that you really would love to polish up. (Not SHOULD polish up, but would LOVE to polish up). Common areas are relationships, career, finances, health & fun/lifestyle.
- Then set a resolution or goal that would put a smile on your face when achieved, and write by when you would like to have it. (A stretch is OK, but keep it doable.)
- Repeat this process until you have 3 goals. (Note: You can skip these steps and simply pick something that you know in your heart you want to do.)
Your goals should be specific (i.e. will it be clear when you've reached it? A goal like 'feel better about myself' is hard to measure. While a goal like 'lose 10 pounds' is very clear.) So what calls to you...
A healthy toned body?
A clear financial plan?
30% increase in income?
Starting your own business?
Feeling free, expressed, and in love with your partner?
Back in communication where there has been a rift?
Two weeks in Peru?
To sing in public?
Learn a language?
Own your own home?
A job you love where you're truly making a difference?
Find a life partner?
- Decide on your one to three targets.
- Now that you have one to three targets, they need to see the light of day! So write them down in big letters and put them up where you'll see them every day. You might even like to get creative, and use paint, and/or find a picture that motivates you.
- I also highly recommend telling at least three people, to make it real. If it feels appropriate, ask for their support (e.g. to call you once a week to ask how it's doing). Of course - it's hard to beat getting your own coach; at the minimum you show yourself you're serious (I just hired a nutritional counselor for 3 months myself).
- You can also clarify your top 3 goals in the next 10 minutes with the Free Goals Report. As you complete this 5-minute quiz, you are really coaching yourself. The standard fee for this service is US$9.95. However, as you have been referred by Peter Shepherd, this fee has been waived. Enjoy!
Copyright 2001-2008 Life Coaching Resource.com
David Wood is a Professional Life Coach, past chair of the ICF Publicity Committee, and founder of a global coach training school. He is author of the powerful Free Download: '50 Life Coaching Questions to Take Control of Your Life and Help Your Clients
'. He helps coaches, consultants, speakers and trainers to build their businesses via his popular ebook: 'CoachStart™ Manual
' - a step-by-step guide for building a thriving coaching practice.