Inspiring Quotes of the Week + super bonuses!
Celebrating Your Greatness in 2013
This week I re-read Brian Tracy's wonderful book, "Create Your Own Future." It's one of the best sources of inspiration, strategy and motivation I know, and I highly recommend it.
What struck me is the truth that we create our own lives, every single day. Think of the enormous opportunity (and responsibility) that gives us!
Too often we drift through life. We go to work, come home, have dinner and go to bed so we can do it all over again tomorrow. It's a familiar routine, we are advancing our career, earning an income, and supporting ourselves and our loved ones. What we forget is that unexamined daily routines can lead to destinations we would never choose for ourselves.
We have dreams and goals, we want "more" and we hope the future will be better than the present. We want great things for ourselves, and better things for our children. And yet, we forget that every day--right now as you read this--we are creating our future.
Every day, our actions take us slightly closer to our goals, or we end up one day further away. Every day, we either move in the direction we choose to go, or we drift with the wind and the current, and the pressures of life around us.
I am not enthused about dramatic, sudden change because I don't think life works that way. Life is more evolutionary than revolutionary, and I believe that, "inch by inch, anything's a cinch!"
Here are five steps I believe are absolutely vital to creating the future you want:
- Be clear about your desires. If you want to start a business, move to a different city, earn more money or change careers, define it! Write it down! Talk about it! Use your imagination to refine your vision. Whatever you want, in any area of life, be specific and get clear!
- Claim your power. You have enormous personal power. You can choose what to read and how to use your time. You CHOOSE how to spend your money. You CHOOSE your friends, your skills and your aspirations. Use your power!
- Have a plan. "Rome wasn't built in a day" and you are unlikely to transform your life or achieve any major goal without a clear, on-going strategy. Life takes time! Have a plan that will take you where you want to go.
- Get the support you need. Whatever you want, there are books and people, classes and environments that will help you get there. Get a coach. Re-arrange your office. Buy the books, DVDs and audio programs that will assist. Attend the conferences. Surround yourself with support!
- Be who you are! Stand up for your values and move in the direction you want to go. Take daily action, and persist. You don't have to be rude or radical, but you do have to be "captain of your ship." Day by day, take action. Make adjustments. Change the details. Try. Try again. Try until.
Whatever you want in life, you can get it. Whatever your age or circumstance, other people have had similar dreams and made them come true. As long as your desires are moral and you are willing to play fair, you can have any future you want! The only questions are whether you have a good plan and whether you will pay the price. You CAN have the future you desire, if you sail your ship in the direction you want to go.