Create the Life You Truly Want
This week I re-read Ayn Rand's classic, "The Fountainhead." It's a powerful story about a fundamental choice each of us must resolve. Either we design and create our own life, or to some degree we drift, we "go along" and let others set the agenda for us. We either find the strength to live our own lives, or we inevitably become what Rand calls "second- handers." I think every adult should read the book, at least once.
What struck me is the truth that in large and small ways, we create our lives every single day. Think of the enormous opportunity (and responsibility) that gives us!
Too often we drift through life. We go to work, come home, have dinner and do it all again tomorrow. It's a familiar routine. We build a career, earn an income, support ourselves and our loved ones. What we forget is that daily routines can lead to destinations we would never choose for ourselves.
Trans4mind readers are ambitious people. We have dreams and goals. We want great things for ourselves, and better things for our children. And yet, we forget that every day—right now as you read this—we are creating our future, the one we must live with.
Every day, our actions take us slightly closer to our goals, or we end up one day further away. Every day, we either move in the direction we choose to go, or we drift with the fads, the opinions and the pressures of people around us.
I am not enthused about dramatic, sudden change because I don't think life works that way. Life is more evolutionary than revolutionary. But I also believe that, "inch by inch, anything's a cinch!" Over a period of weeks or months, sometimes years, you can create and live any life you truly desire. That is your sacred right, and your sacred responsibility as an adult!
Here are five steps I believe are absolutely vital to creating the life you want:
- First, be clear about your desires. Whatever you deeply desire—to start a business, move to a different city, to earn more or to change careers—define it! Write it down! Talk about it! Use your imagination to refine your vision. Whatever you want, in any area of life, be specific and be clear!
- Second, claim your power. You have enormous personal power. You can choose what to read and how to use your time. You choose how to spend your money. You choose your friends, the skills you develop, and your aspirations. Use your power!
- Third, have a plan. "Rome wasn't built in a day" and you are unlikely to transform your life or achieve any major goal without a clear, on-going strategy. Life takes time! Have a plan that will take you toward your desire.
- Fourth, get the support you need. Whatever you want, there are books and people, classes and environments that will help you get there. Use a coach. Start a MasterMind group. Re-arrange your office, buy the books, DVD's and audio programs. Attend the conferences. Surround yourself with support!
- Fifth, be who you are! Stand up for your values and move in the direction you want to go. Take daily action, and persist. You don't have to be rude or radical, but you do have to be the "captain of your ship." Day by day, take action. Make adjustments. Change the details. Try. Try again. Try until.
Whatever you want in life, you can get it. Whatever your age or circumstance, other people have had similar dreams and made them come true. As long as your desires are moral and you are willing to "play fair," you can have the future you want! The only questions are whether you have a good plan and whether you will pay the price. You can have the future you desire, if you sail your ship in the direction you want to go.
Did you find this article helpful? Share your thoughts and suggestions with your Facebook or Twitter friends below...