How To Put New Tips On Pool Cues
You can install and change the tip of the pool ball cues when it becomes thin and worn out. Doing so you can resume your pool game. A pool cue tip can be mounted using a common household item. When you do it by hand, you need to be really careful. If the place where you set the tip has been ruined completely, then you can see some top pool cues to get something new. You need to take your time and make sure you don’t hurt yourself. But in this piece, we’ll tell how to put new tips on ball cues.
Change the Tip by Hand:
- To change your tip, you are going to need a razor blade to cut off the access, a lock-tight super glue and once you have your new tip glued on you would need various grades of sandpaper.
- The cue tip is made out of leather and is located at the end of the pool on top of the ferrule. The ferrule is a cap, or a metal ring is situated just under the tip.
- So, you cut the tip off very carefully without cutting your fingers. Make sure there is no old glue on top of your ferrule. If there is, scrape it off using the blade or knife.
- Use a 60 to 80 grit sandpaper to make the surface even and smooth.
- To be even more careful, apply some amount of nail polish remover to remove the remaining glue. The nail polish remover contains acetone which is a solvent that helps dissolve the glue easily.
- Wipe the remaining residue from the cue tip and the bottom shaft areas using a paper towel to prepare for the fitting of a new pool cue tip.
- Then you would need to place the flat side of the new tip on a piece of 400 to 600 fine-grit sandpaper.
- Use the sandpaper to smooth the tip until it is smooth on the backside
- Place the tip on top of the ferrule. It should lie flat at the tip on the end of the cue.
- Apply glue on top of the pool shaft and make sure that the glue covers the tip of the pool shaft.
- Make required changes so that the tip lines up in the center of the shaft.
- Again, you need to use the paper towel to wipe the excess glue.
- Allow it to rest and dry for at least one and hour.
- Use the sandpaper to wipe away the excess glue and make it smooth for the pool ball game.
- Use sandpaper or cue sharper tools to shape your cue and make it ready for use.
It is not an easy job and takes a lot of patience, but it is something that can be done. There is another way this job can be done in a lot more professional way.
Professional Cue Tip Changing:
- First thing you have got to do is take the tip-off manually just like you did for the above procedure
- Then put it into the machine, which will make a small groove and take off all the excess glue.
- You will need to scrape off the leather tip a little bit so that it sticks well on to the pool.
- As you clamp the cue, put some glue on the tip. Place the tip onto it and let it dry
- Secure your tip to the ferrule with the help of another machine.
- Wipe off the access glue
- Take a blade and cut the excess part of the tip as the cue revolves around in the machine.
- Last you should round the tip up and get it to the desired shape.