21 Facts About Blackjack
Everything you ever needed to know about Blackjack in one article
Blackjack is the second most popular casino game. Today we are going to teach you everything you ever wanted to know about the game.
If this article has inspired you, you can play Blackjack here.
Here are 21 facts about Blackjack
1. Blackjack used to be called 21 (or Vingt-et-Un in French)
The aim of the game is to get as close to 21 as possible without scoring more. Unsurprisingly, the game was called 21 when it was first created.
2. The first record we have of the game comes from the famous author who wrote Don Quixote
The first written record we have of the game comes from a collection of short stories written by Miguel de Cervantes.
3. However, some people believe the game was invented by the Romans
There are some historians who believe a game that the Romans used to play with painted wooden slabs was an early form of Blackjack.
4. It was the favorite game of French Kings
King Louis XV was famously obsessed with Blackjack and used to throw parties so he and his mistress could play it together.
5. It was also the favorite game of French King Killers
Ironically, Napoleon Bonaparte was also a huge fan of Blackjack. He used to play it after battles to relax, but his soldiers were banned from playing the game.
6. Aces are worth both 1 and 11 in the game
The Ace card has two different roles in the Blackjack, it can be worth 1 point or 11 points. The holder can choose.
7. The dealer has a 1.5% edge on the players
The dealer has a much smaller edge in Blackjack than in Poker.
8. 5s are the best cards in the pack
5s are such good cards in Blackjack, that some casinos used to remove them to improve their edge.
9. Other players don't change your odds of winning
It doesn't matter how many other people you are playing with, they won't make your odds better or worse.
10. There were The Four Horsemen of Blackjack
These 4 Glasgow-based Mathematicians were the first people to write about Blackjack theory. Card Counting was inspired by their first book.
11. The dealer has a 29.1% chance of going bust
The dealer will go bust every 3rd or 4th hand on average.
12. The MIT Blackjack Team won millions of dollars by card counting and someone made a movie about them
If you want to know more about these men, watch the film 21.
13. One dealer played for 51 hours and 33 minutes in 2001
The world record for the longest game is 51 hours and 33 minutes. The record was set in 2001 and still hasn't been beaten.
14. Card Counting is most effective in Blackjack
Card counting was first used in Blackjack. It is very effective but can get you banned from the casino.
15. You can't go bust on an 11 (which makes it the third best hand in the game)
The 2 best hands are 21 and 20. After that 11 is the perfect hand in the first round, you can take another card without going bust and have a good chance of winning the round.
16. 16 is the worst hand in the game
16 probably won't win you the round, but taking another card is very risky.
17. The Paper Worker checks for cheats
Ever wondered why the dealer puts the used cards into a red box. That box is called the Paper Worker and it checks the back of the cards of ink stamps.
18. Members of the Blackjack Hall of Fame are not allowed to play Blackjack in the Hall of Fame
The Hall of Fame is located in a Hotel/Casino. The members are allowed to stay for free at the hotel but they are banned from the Casino.
19. You want to get a snapper if you can
A snapper is a name for a hand that is made up of any face card and any of the aces. It is called a snapper because when the game was first invented you would snap your cards on the table if you were dealt this hand.
20. The card dispense in Blackjack is called a shoe
The original Blackjack card dispenser was designed to look like a lady's high heel shoe.
21. A Blackjack is a hand in the game that can win you a bonus prize
If you are dealt either of the black Jacks with the Ace of Spades then you will want to tell everybody. Playing this hand will win you a bonus jackpot in most casinos.